icon

mono amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
I think I am going to put the whole explanation for underpower argument into a file so whenever this comes up I can just cut and paste. Seems to be the best sloution.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

Dyhon,

I am with you there but, to get the spl you want out of a lower powered amp you would have to work it or clip it.  That is why I was trying to state that You should have an amp that will supply a little more than the rms rating of the speaker. thus, lower gain settings and not chance of clipping the amp.

My current situation is a Bazooka 500 watt mono amp pushing these 2 8104's.  They, to me, are crying for more power. With the amp at 3/4 gain I actually have to turn down the gains to half on my cadence amp to balance the sound. Otherwise, the mids and Highs drownd out the bass. So, if I run a 1000 watt rms amp and the subs need 800 watts for the pair, all should be good.

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
Well see, i didn't know that the MTX thunder 8000 subs were power hungry, that's why i said it several times that if he knew, then go ahead...
As far as the mtx 8001, i thought it was the thunder amp as well....
But i did know that underpowering subs would not "kill" them, and make the amp work harder...
Good luck with ur amp dude.
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
DYhon, refer to the first page of this post, there is a picture of the set-up there.
Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
That thing u said about having to work it or clip it on a lower output amp to get the full potential out an rms rating on a sub is entirely not true...
There are amps that put out more than what the rms rating says...Also for most subs, u don't need to meet or exceed rms ratings to get full potential out the sub...I dunno where u got that from.
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, I have to ask, do you understand that the gains are not a volume control and that there is a proper technique to setting them and it is not just go by your ear. If you dont know how ot do this right check outsome previous post on setting gains with a dmm. The only thing that kinda alarmed me is that you said you have to turn down your cadence amp to half way or else it drowns out your subs, this begs the question, What is the proper level to have your cadence set at?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
I am only refering to the mtx 8000 series subs. As stated earlier, they are very power hungry, especialy when in a small enclosure as mine are in .63cf per sub. I have been told by many that you need to run these subs at rms or higher. I am only stating what I have been told. I have run subs in the past well below their rms and have not ran into too much trouble. There are just a handfull of subs that need to be run at or above RMS rating to get the full potential out of the sub as I am told.
Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
Dude, I have to ask, do you understand that the gains are not a volume control and that there is a proper technique to setting them and it is not just go by your ear. If you dont know how ot do this right check outsome previous post on setting gains with a dmm. The only thing that kinda alarmed me is that you said you have to turn down your cadence amp to half way or else it drowns out your subs, this begs the question, What is the proper level to have your cadence set at?

I know that the gains are not ment as a volume control. The way that I was taught to set the gains is to turn up the deck 3/4 volume then set the gain untill the amp starts clipping then back it off 1/8 turn or so. That is how I came up with 3/4 gain on the sub amp. As far as the cadence amp, I have not been able to clip it as of yet. I also had the gains set at 3/4 on it.

As far as balancing the power between the front rear and sub channels goes the gains are my only adjustment. I have a 6 channel line driver installed but, it is running off of one set of rca's right now as the second set out of my head unit are fried.

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Ya, check the previous post about using a DMM to set your gains, you will probally find it pretty informative and it is definatly gonna help out if you get a big beast like a 1501
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
Ya, check the previous post about using a DMM to set your gains, you will probally find it pretty informative and it is definatly gonna help out if you get a big beast like a 1501

I will check it out for sure. I am always looking for good information regarding installs. Thanks for the info Ravendarat.

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic