icon

Simple Q: wiring a dvc sub.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Is it easier/harder on the alternator running it at 2ohm? And what if I decide to run it at 8ohm? The amp I have doesn't seem to have an option of 8ohm...but then, the sub won't produce its 350 rms watts, right? Or I guess it's the amp, that won't make its 400 rms watts...
Anyways, seems like dvc subs suck...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
You bought the wrong sub for what you want.  Get over it and trade for a single voice coil.  I had to do the same thing when I started putting stuff together.  It's not the end of the world.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
Are u serious, u don't want to hook up ur dvc sub in parallel cuz u think it'll strain the alt or sound that much worse than at 4-ohms?
Before u go jumping the gun and trading stuff in, wire it in parallel, get ur 2-ohms, set ur gains properly, and give it a listen, if u hate it, or u feel it's "straining" ur alt, then take it out...400W rms is not gonna strain ur alt....just give it a shot....I bet it'll soound good, that sub and that amp, nice combo...Just be careful setting ur gain, the infinity subs i've had experience with are very fragile.
Plus, isn't that PG Xenon 400.1 regulated, meaning that it'll sound the same at 4-ohms or 2-ohms or even 1-ohm? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Just looked it up, it is regulated, they call it "Xe load optimized"...so ur worries of sacrificing sound quality at 2-ohms is out.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, the PG amp is regulated and I have absolutely no problem making it push 2ohm load, it's just that I read so much about sq getting worse at lower resistance, and I'm kind of going for better sq here. However, I don't know why you say the sq will stay the same with this amp, no matter what load you're pushing with it (1-4 ohm). It should give out 400 watts at 1-4 ohm, but I don't know if it'll give the same sq at 1-4 ohm.
And no, I'm not gonna trade the sub now, because I don't wanna send it back and then, the seller might not have a svc version of the sub. I already paid UPS a rip off fee of $45...don't wanna be charged again for receiving stuff over the boarder.
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
k.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
If you can hear a difference in sq in a subwoofer going from 4 ohms to 2 ohms, then my friend you should put in for testing hearing aids. I highly doubt you will hear any difference at all. The alternator will run fine, same with the battery. Run that sub in a parallel setup to 2 ohms, and move on with life.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, thanks for the relief forbidden!!! :) I just don't understand then all this talk about how bad it is to go to 2ohm due to the sq loss. Weird...
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
It is no where near as noticeable in lower bass frequencies as it is in upper frequencies and this is what most people refer to when they talk about it. Based on that I see how it can be confusing when you do not know any different.
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

i'm confused as to how to wire a dvc 4 ohm sub in parrallel. anyone have any illustrations or pics??? (i'm new to dvc subs)

forbidden 
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Wiring Option #1
Simple Q: wiring a dvc sub. - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic