icon

Sealed or Ported for Spl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
sh*t dude I have seen 3 db seperate 1st and 7 place in some comps. Esspecially when you get into the upper end. Once you get past, I think i was told, 138.7 db, then every 3 decibels gives sounds twice as loud as before.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
I'm talkin about an average person with an average ear.  Not the $5000 db machine that detects .0000000000001 db differences.  I know that you have to double the power to get that extra 3 db but I think the guy askin the question is probably not going for the world title for spl, so his gain of 3 db at let's say 120 db is not goin to be a HUGE, noticable difference right?  I would do it, but if you're going to notice a major difference is what I'm questioning.  Maybe, maybe not.  I'll have to take it to the sound lab that we have here at the college.  See what a port does compared to a sealed.
leroy185 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

"I know that you have to double the power to get that extra 3 db but I think the guy askin the question is probably not going for the world title for spl, so his gain of 3 db at let's say 120 db is not goin to be a HUGE, noticable difference right? "

man if you're only  hitting 120 you need to get something checked 'cause i've seen 125 from a factory system

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Doesnt adding a second sub also add 3Db?  So does that mean that having one sub and a ported box would sound like 2 subs in a sealed box?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

Yes it does for the first part and no for the second part. The porting of a box will change the tuning frequency, thus the range of frequencies played and heard will be different.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
15L7=Ported, Ported, Ported..did i mention ported?
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
yep ported massive box, thats about all i have to say about thaty along with alot of power
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Actually: . If the cone area is doubled and the cone excursion remains the same, the acoustical power increases by a factor of four:
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
"actually boxmaker , you ARE wrong. The db scale is really wierd but 3 or 4 db is enough to almost double the amout of volume you hear. I think it only takes like 6 db to double the sound you actually hear. Theres a difference in db you here and electronic or digital db but both are close in scale. The numbers may not be EXACT but I know Im very close."
I'm going to have to say, no, ayou ARE WRONG.
"Note the following characteristics of the decibel scale:
    * It is a relative scale, ie, it is based on a ratio that compares sound intensity or pressure to a standard reference level. The reference level used is the lowest sound pressure commonly detected by man and is equal to 2 X 10-5 N/m2. Thus, the intensity level in decibel sound pressure level (SPL) = 20 log10 sound pressure/2 X 10-5 N/m2.
    * It is logarithmic, not a linear scale. Doubling sound pressure results in a 6-dB increase in measured sound pressure, while a 10-fold change in sound pressure is reflected by a 20-dB change in measured sound pressure.
    * The log of 1 is 0. Thus, 0 dB SPL does not correspond to the absence of sound but rather indicates that the sound pressure of the measured wave is equal to the reference sound pressure."
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard 140 db and then 150 db.  In an enclosed area where other sound is negligable.  The difference was very small, I would not have noticed if I had just been listening to it like the radio.  If you can notice a change in 3 db (with your ear not a machine) then you're.... superman or something. 
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic