icon

pioneer p6600 VS. Kenwood excelon -815dvd

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beatjunkie 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

i need some advice...does anyone have expierence with either of these flip out screen and dvd player units?

both go for around 900 or so on ebay...

here are some features of the pionner

Description:Pioneer AVH-P6600DVD DVD Receiver w/ Motorized Touch Screen Display
Manufacturer:Pioneer
Lowest Price:$917.00
User Rating: 
Not Rated
Device Type:Display Screen, DVD Player, Global Navigation System
General Features:Backlit Display, Color Display, Front Panel Menu Control, Integrated TV Tuner, Touch Screen, Volume Control, XM Satellite Radio Ready
AM/FM Tuner Presets:24
Audio Features:Bass Boost
Diagonal Screen Size:6.5 in
Included Components:Radio Tuner, Video Cable
Interface Type:Audio - Line Out (AC-3 Bit Stream / PCM Optical), Audio - Line Out (RCA-style), Video - Composite (RCA)
Maximum Power Output:50 W/channel
Media Supported:Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, Video CD (VCD)
Number of Pre-amp Outputs:3
Number of Sub Pre-amp Outputs:1
Video Features:Cinema Mode, Motion Zoom (2x, 4x), Widescreen (16:9)
Height:7 in
Width:2 in
Depth:6.5 in
Weight:10.3 lbs
Warranty Information:1 Year Limited Warranty
URL: Manufacturer Link

This In-Dash DVD Multimedia AV Receiver features a Motorized 6.5" Touch Panel display, built-in DVD player with CD/MP3/WMA playback, and a Graphic Design Chip featuring incredible full-motion animated graphics, and much more.

and some featuers of the kenwood

pioneer p6600 VS. Kenwood excelon -815dvd -- posted image.
Description:
Kenwood KVT-815DVD In-Dash 7" Monitor DVD/CD/MP3/WMA Receiver
Manufacturer:Kenwood
Lowest Price:$1049.99
User Rating: 
Not Rated
Device Type:Display Screen, DVD Player
General Features:Sirius Satellite Radio Ready, Touch Screen
AM/FM Tuner Presets:24
Anti-Theft Type:Removable Faceplate
Audio Features:Internal Stereo Speakers, Tone Control
CD Changer Control:Yes
Diagonal Screen Size:7 in
Included Components:Remote Control
Interface Type:Audio - Line Out (RCA-style), Video - Composite (RCA)
Maximum Power Output:50 W/channel
Media Supported:Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, Video CD (VCD)
Number of Pre-amp Outputs:3
Standard Mounting:DIN
Video Features:Intro Scan, Repeat Mode, Widescreen (16:9)
URL: Manufacturer Link

The KVT-815DVD is packed with Future Ready/Already features and technology. Highlights include a 7"-wide, 16:9 touchscreen display, DVD-Video/CD/MP3/WMA playback, 24-bit digital-to-analog converters, and a GUI on-screen interface with touchscreen control. The 7"-wide LCD screen automatically extends and retracts with a "Z-Action" mechanism that lets you install the KVT-815DVD in more locations without interfering with the vehicle's controls. System E's+ Advanced Crossover System gives you all the adjustments you need to get the most out of whatever speakers your system has, and System Q EX Sound Control makes it easy for you to fine-tune the sound until it's just the way you want it. There's built-in 50-watts x 4 amplification or you can use the high-voltage gold-plated front, rear and non-fading preouts with Kenwood Excelon power amps to create your dream system. (The KVT-815DVD even controls the A.M.S. functions of 2004 Kenwood Excelon power amps right from its touchscreen.) An A/V input/output expands your video source choices, and you can also add a Kenwood Excelon Music Keg and HD Radio or SIRIUS Satellite tuners. A programmable security code and removeable faceplate bring peace-of-mind, and the auxiliary LCD display lets you operate the KVT-815DVD with the LCD screen retracted. A full-function 10-key remote is included.

i definatly need some help on deciding between the two...thanks alot

slab42 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

I don't like the kenwood... the screen has a lot of glare.  oh, and it is NOT excelon!  I have the Avic-N1, and I had the avh-p7300DVD before, both pioneers, and the screen quality is awesome on both!  go for the pioneer!

another bitch I have about the kenwood, have you seen how it opens up?  the screen slides all the way out, and thensome, and the screen flips up, but it is hinged in the front! then the "arm" that the screen sits on slides back.  may be a problem with some cars.  oh yeah, and the kenwood is fugly!  if you have not seen it, go to a local store and see for yourself.  I have seen the kenwood at a best buy around here, so try one near you

civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
my .02 here... i have the kenwood and i like it. the only thing that is stupid about it is the way the screen opens i will admit that. ive had mine for about 4 months and have had no problems at all. good luck deciding!
knowledge8069 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
I have the Kenwood KVT-815DVD. I will try not to be bias here, but give you my honest opinion. The Pioneer was a choice when I bought the Kenwood, and I did some comparing.
The Kenwood IS Excelon, don't know what slab42 is talking about above. Both are good looking units IMO. I'm guessing the Kenwood is more stable on it's track than the Pioneer (mentioned later in this post) and that is why it is designed the way it is.
It is a nice receiver. Every once in a while it will not want to eject a disc, but this happens maybe once every few months, just have to turn power off and turn back on. It has never skipped.
The reason I chose the Kenwood over the Pioneer is because the output voltage is higher (5.0V vs. 4.0V) and the screen is a half inch bigger diagonally. The Pioneer has sweet screensavers and a spectrum analyzer, where Kenwood has neither (it is illegal to have distracting motion on a monitor in view of the driver, so technically you could get a ticket for it, though I'm sure it wouldn't happen). The fluffy stuff on the Pioneer is cool, but not worth trading for less screen and weaker outputs.
I can't remember exactly why I didn't choose the Pioneer, but I thought it was something about how bulky it looked. The Kenwood's screen is less than a half inch thick, sits back nicely against the rest of the dash, not out in the open. One of my friends has the Pioneer, and it is wobbly on it's track arm, besides having a thick monitor. Could have been the way he installed it. I don't know if the Pioneer can be moved out away from the dash, but I am guessing that it can be.
Note: this may be very important in the near future. Kenwood lists support for DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW (says right on the original box here), where Pioneer says theirs only does DVD-R/RW.
The Kenwood is going to give you more compatibilty options (different media or brands of burnable DVD's) which is a very good thing. Sometimes certain brands of disc won't work if a DVD player is picky, so being able to try every disc on the market rather than just DVD-R/RW could be useful. Can pick up that great rebate deal and not worry about + or -. Also with dual-layer DVD's hitting the consumer market, you are going to need as much compatibility as you can get, as these two DVD players are early models as far as DVD burning goes. They may be pickier than the newer and more updated units.
The Pioneer has better radio reception, and 1dB higher signal-to-noise ration. Radio reception is not what I look for, however, since I have XM Satellite Radio. 1dB difference in signal-to-noise ratio is a miniscule gain.
Overall, I like the Kenwood. I love Pioneer too, don't get me wrong, but in this case I would say go with the Kenwood KVT-815DVD.
knowledge8069 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot to mention something. I have had my eye on the new Alpine IVA-D300. It has some PulseTouch technology which got them a few awards from some powerful and reputable organizations. Below are links to two of the awards. A CES award is HUGE, and means that this piece of equipment is definately worth looking into. At $1499 retail, it is in the same price range as the Kenwood and Pioneer.
http://www.alpine.com/e/corporate/award/
http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/awards/innovations/rd_2004honorees.asp?category=11
knowledge8069 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
Damn, another reply. I meant I have Sirius, not XM. LOL.
beatjunkie 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

knowledge8069 wrote:
Damn, another reply. I meant I have Sirius, not XM. LOL.

i ended up buying the pioneer. Only paid 856 for it brand new fro ma retailer and so far, im happy.

thanks for all the info,.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic