icon

speaker setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xfsrg 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

ok i have a pioneer avm-p9000r which has 6 channel audio.  i need help with where to put the center channel.  i have a 94 grand cherokee.  i havent done a center channel before because i listened mostly to music, but now i watch dvds and the 5.1 sound needs to be completed - in my opinion.  i am thinking of using a 4" midrange as the center speaker - if anyone has any better suggestion please let me know.  also, what would be a good brand/reliable brand in the 4" range?

djv1 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
if you want to use 4 inch as your center range I would go with a set of MBquart speakers, the clearest speaker you will ever hear (in my opinion) What do you have for other speakers?
JVC deck
6.5in MB Quarts
Rockford 3001M amp
2 12in Kicker Comps
Sirus Sattilte Radio
xfsrg 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

i just have the stock infinite gold so far.  i havent had a chance to upgrade since i was working on the video/sub and next comes the speakers.

i heard 4" was a overall good choice for center speaker.  does any agree/disagree?

xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
I'd agree with the 4" center speaker thing, though any small high quality speaker will do the job, I think a 4" 2 way speaker would probably be ur best option.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
djv1 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
for the back set of speakers I would go with a set of 6x9's just for that good powerful sound.
JVC deck
6.5in MB Quarts
Rockford 3001M amp
2 12in Kicker Comps
Sirus Sattilte Radio
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
In a 5.1 setup you do not want your back speakers to be "powerful."  The rear channels are for surround effects only.  6X9s are fine if that's what fits, but you should not be able to "hear" them with main program sound.  Your front set and center channel need to be the best speakers in your system, and positioning of the center channel can be critical.  The center needs only be mono, by the way, and a midrange speaker properly processed or crossed over is ideal.  I've had good luck putting a 3" mid in the space of a removed ashtray in many cars, or by building a small enclosure mounted on top the dash against the windshield.  Also, some cars have space for mounting a center set on either side of the center console - not the best solution.  Clarion and Eclipse have dedicated center channel speaker systems available that take a 1/2 DIN dash opening or mount behind the rear view mirror.  Both are fine sounding systems in a 5.1 setup.
Support the12volt.com
xfsrg 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

yea the 1/2 din would be nice, but i heard they arent powerful enough.  i havent checked out the eclipse 1/2 din speaker yet - ill have to get on that.  rear view is an interesting concept.

the removed ashtray is a good idea and might be my best option.  how hard was that to custom mount?

any opinions on a good brand for a 3"-4" mid would be?

my back speakers will be the last thing i upgrade - im in no hurry for those since they arent bad as it is and they arent so important IMO.

xfsrg 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

just wanted to say... ive posted at a couple forums and you guys have been the most help.

thanks for all the help!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Another great place for a stealth center channel is in the center air vents. I had room in my MR2 to mount a 3.5" above the cd player and fired it into the air vent tube. It sounded great for a MB Quart 3.5" coax.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic