icon

Subwoofer Position/Mounting Trunk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
12slack 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I understand that when a subwoofer is positioned/pointed/facing to the rear of the trunk at roughly 90 degrees is when the best in car bass response and loudness is achieved in a sedan type vehicle. What about when the subwoofer is mounted inverted?(facing into the enclosure). For example to achieve the same loudness/bass response as when the subwoofer is mounted inside the box facing out, where would you place the subwoofer? With the magnet of the speaker nearest the trunk opening? Pointing to the front of the vehicle but with the actual placement of the subwoofer near the trunk opening? Thanks any info/experiences would help.
funyin 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
you are correct about facing the subs to the rear of the vehicle for best bass response, but dont worry about running regular or inverted too much. the reason that you run subs backwards is to try and cut down on "cancelation" as much as possible. running your subs inverted should have little effect on the loudness of your low end as long as you are running them all in correct phase. so i say go for it either way you want to run them, keep the sub box facing rear and near the back of your trunk. car audio and electronics has a decent article in there july magazine (page ten) about facing rear and the effects of noise cancelation. good luck...
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

Funyin...describe to me how you can "cut down" on cancelation by inverting subs. The only to invert a sub is to make it look better; it shouldn't sound different.

funyin 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
i never said that inverting subs will cut down on cancelation. i was simply telling 12slack to face his subs any way he pleases as long as he keeps his box facing to the rear. that is of course he wants to go for an all out custom and sealing his trunk up. try reading my reply again and see if you get the same result.
12slack 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  

Again thanks for the info!

ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  

funyin wrote:
you are correct about facing the subs to the rear of the vehicle for best bass response, but dont worry about running regular or inverted too much. the reason that you run subs backwards is to try and cut down on "cancelation" as much as possible. running your subs inverted should have little effect on the loudness of your low end as long as you are running them all in correct phase. so i say go for it either way you want to run them, keep the sub box facing rear and near the back of your trunk. car audio and electronics has a decent article in there july magazine (page ten) about facing rear and the effects of noise cancelation. good luck...

customsuburb, I was thinkin the same thing. lol. Dude said it, but I bet he was tryin to say something else...... I'd like to here itSubwoofer Position/Mounting Trunk - Last Post -- posted image.

CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
I was about to post the same question as customsuburb too but scrolling down I see it's covered. Inverting subs is for cosmetics and, if you're old school, for some isobaric loading designs. The output is the same for an inverted subwoofer. Just make sure you get the wiring correct so the bass is in phase with the other speakers. Inverted woofers need to have their positive and negative wiring flipped in most cases.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
LMAO, I used to invert my 1st pair of subs cause to me it sounded better.  Funny thing is I never reversed the wiring of the subs and they still performed the same.  In my case, they were not the prettiest subs inverted, just plain and boring!  Subwoofer Position/Mounting Trunk - Last Post -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
12slack 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah sometimes when you invert mount the subs you have to reverse the wires but not always I figure you try both ways and go with whatever sounds better.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic