icon

Automatic inhibit remote start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Toru 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to install a remote starter on our van, but there is some concern that it could be accidentally started while parked in the garage.
There are three options to get around this as I see it:
1. Install a CO detector with a loud siren in the garage. (Recommended anyway by most manufacturers.)
2. Set valet mode when parking in garage. This is assuming that most units will prevent a remote start in valet mode, any data on this? The primary problem I see with this is that it is not automatic, so you could forget to do it. This would probably also inhibit other functions like power sliding door opening as well.
3. Automatic remote start inhibit. The way I see this working is having a low-power transmitter in the garage. A receiver in the vehicle upon detecting the transmission would open a relay inline with the remote start's starter crank output. Heh, has anyone ever seen a generic device like this?
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
put a switch on the hood pin wire so that when you park it in the garage, flip the switch and it won;t start. Most if not all starters have a shut down switch so you can do what you want to do.
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
put a switch on the hood pin wire so that when you park it in the garage, flip the switch and it won;t start. Most if not all starters have a shut down switch so you can do what you want to do.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
Toru 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
The switch on the hood pin is a great idea, but one that can be forgotten.
I have three other ideas on this:
1. Rig the remote start so that it can't operate if the doors are unlocked. The reason this would work is that we don't lock the cars when we park in the garage. Still a chance that someone could lock the door - and especially if someone is playing with the remote! Bad idea.
2. Wire a garage door opener to the remote start! The problem with that is if you park in the driveway and remote start it, you open the door for no good reason. Not the end of the world though.
3. Connect the siren driver of the CO detector to the garage door so that it opens if CO present. That's more of a general purpose mechanism.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic