icon

blinking lights, dimming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
satchmoe27 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
When my subwoofer is on the lights on my dash guages(check engine light, oil light, seat belt light, airbag light, etc.) blink when the music bass notes are played. this only happens when the stereo is up loud or the bass level is turned up high. Does this mean that my rockford 401s amp is to powerful for my 95 altima. Or does it mean that my ground is not good. Would a capacitator help the problem. Also my headlights do not dim everytime when the bass hits as does my dash lights.
screamon deamon
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
Does your Main power wire go straight to battery?
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

id make sure the main power wire for the amp is big enough and goes straight to the battery and use the same guage on the ground , minimum 8 guage. If the problem persist , maybe look into a 1 farad cap at least.

Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

id make sure the main power wire for the amp is big enough and goes straight to the battery and use the same guage on the ground , minimum 8 guage. If the problem persist , maybe look into a 1 farad cap at least.

satchmoe27 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I have my main power wire runnning straight to my battery. And I am using 4 guage wire for both ground and power
screamon deamon
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

what is the remote turn on tied into? An aftermarket radio? The fuse block? That might have somthing to do with it. Other than that Im stumped except for adding the cap.

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
I would say that its just too much current draw, everyone around here has a 401s and my bro's is on a 140 amp alt and still dims the lights a little.   Its probably your electrical system not being able to keep up, a cap will help some, but if you are serious about helping your electrical system upgrade your alt, or you could upgrade your alt wiring, or add an optima/equivalent.  all of those should definetly help out if not completely stop it.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly have you done to the factory grounds from the battery? You need to make the current transfer as efficient as possible and this starts with the most important wire in the vehicle, the ground.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
satchmoe27 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

My remote turn on is coming from a after market pioneer deh-p7200 radio. I just want to know if this dimming of the lights will effect my electrical system. Or will it decrease my battery life. But I need to upgrade my electrical system wiring. Any instructions on doing this.

screamon deamon
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
It definetly puts more strain on your alternator which will, in turn, decrease its life.  You will also realize that you are going to start replacing batteries MUCH more frequently.  if by electrical system wiring you mean you alternator and battery connections (the big three) then yes a great tutorial is right here... http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801 if that isnt what you meant just post back and we can see what we can help you with.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic