icon

Why do Sony Xplodes get such a bad rap?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swede 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

Was just wondering why Sony Xplodes get such a bad rap? Are they THAT bad?

I'm into MD's bigtime so I have had several Sony headunits - not because they failed but because I had one in every car......my newest is a Clarion only because Sony - in their usual proprietary fashion - didn't bring their double din CD/MD units into the US. But when looking at things like amps or MP3 changers, Sony's are very reasonable, yet seem to be looked down upon.

Any REAL reasons why?  

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Im glad Im not the only one that feels this way. I have actually competed in usac compititions and won 2nd and 3rd place using x-plode products. I know they are not the best but for the money , they are under rated. I have always said that installation and tuning goes a long way. Thier woofers do suck tho and would never recomend them but if your on a tight budget and want decent sound , I do recomend x-plode head units and amps.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

3 reasons I wouldn't buy Xplod:

1)   They overrate their products (120s/n ratio for $140 receiver ... riiiighht)

2)   Low Build Quality / High failure rate
3)   Low actual sound quality compared to similarly priced brands
4)   They sell it at walmart
5)   They always seem to use proprietary crap like their atrac codec instead of straight mp3 for the minidisc players

None of this is to say that you can't have a decent sounding car with just about any decent brand.  I believe a lot of people can get great sounding cars if they are smart and pay attention to the installation. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Im not knocking the better high end products that were all familiar with. Again I know x-plode products are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel but then again like I said , installation is half the game. I feel I represent most people here who are either getting started in the car audio game and need a good base line to get them started or represent thousands of people who dont have a $10,000 budget to just thro down for the hell of it. Not all of us have a damn silver spoon in our mouths. We all have to start somewhere. I really enjoy helping someone who is on a very low budget get the most bang for what little money they have. Best of all I truly have major satifaction after installing say for example a $1,500 system for some one when in the end it comes out looking and sounding better than the Punk who went to Tweeter and easily dropped $5,000 or more for a system he installed himself but had no clue how to properly install or tune the system. Ya maybe he bought the best HU alpine has and and 2 or 3 v12 amps ect. ect. but none of it mattered as the install was half ass thrown together as I and many others have seen before. Im just here for the little guy so I stand my ground when I say Sony X-plode is still good product for decent systems. My 3 cents Now I have none at all.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
The name implies. :)
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

My girlfriend has a Sony cassette (yes, she wanted one) with a 10 disc MP3 changer.....I put Boston Rally components in the front and back, but as anyone who knows Bostons, they crave power. She doesn't have alot of $$$ to throw at a $800 JL amp, etc., and she (and I) have both had great luck with Sony products - I don't buy the ones at Wal Mart - I usually buy ES units - but those BA's need power so she's looking at a 4 ch Xplode amp. More than likely - unless something sweet and cheap on ebay comes along that 700 other people don't see - she'll get the Xplode.

But I wholeheartlily agree that its not just what you've got but knowing what to do with it and how to install it.

I like the Clarion I have but what gets in my craw is trying to come up with anything remotely similiar in features to the Sonys - for less than 5x the $$$. At least Sony makes an affordable MP3/CDR 10 disc changer.

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
All I will say is I had at least a 40% return rate for failure with sony explode products 3 years ago.   I have deamed not to use then since them and untill I see something I really like and can tourture test and it lives I probably wont carry them again
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

I remember a few years back when Crotchfield carried Soundstream - even their own salesmen would tell you to go with another brand.  Now I hear they're supposed to be so wonderful.

15 years ago I had 3 Yamaha amps - along with an entire system - when they were the "shts" - then watched every one of them fail within 2 years......and Sanyo begin making them.

But yes, I'd prefer a 4ch JL - if we could find one for less than $400. 

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
The "760w" square George Foreman grille lookng POS from a few years ago really did me in on Xploding Sonys. We had almost a 100% failure rate on those things.... I gave it the nickname of "the frying pan"
Ugh
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have talked to Sony repair people who won't own any Sony product made within the last 10 years (all the car audio is made by another company, even most of their tv's are farmed out) they are resting on the name (they are the 5th largest consumer electronics manufacturer in the world, but hold a double digit lead in the US simply by advertising more)
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic