icon

Delco radio problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
polaris96 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  
I have 1998 S10 blazer with an oem delco am/fm/CD radio. The radio works fine except for the CD player which skips and displays an error at times. The problem seems to be heat related because it plays fine for about 30 minutes in the morning when its cool inside and within minutes when its hot like in the afternoon. I noticed a fan behind the radio that is not working so I replaced it but still will not turn on. I checked both fans and they work fine. I am wondering if there is a heat sensor that turns on the fan when it reaches a certain temperature or does the fan operate when the radio or CD is playing? Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone have a schematic for this delco radio model #09356055?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

i have the service manuals but am contractually forbidden from releasing this info.... the fan is indeed powered thru a thermistor circuit..... these units tend to skip based on a certain degree of ambient heat being generated by the output stage, the louder you play it, the more heat generated...... this problem is usually indicative of the APC circuit on the pickup going out of tolerence.....

take it to a local dealer to have it serviced or replace it with an aftermarket unit......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
polaris96 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info Kevin. One other question, what would I be looking at as far as cost for the repairs? I would like to compare the repair cost with a the cost of a new aftermarket radio. Thanks.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic