icon

detailed how-to for alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shesaidshewas18 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
What is your method on properly prepping an alarm? Please explain in details what you exactly do. Some alarms state that you should mount the alarm first, then route your wires and so on. What I do is e-tape the wires first, then mount the alarm. I know theres not really a wrong or right way to do it, I just want to see what everyones methods are, and try them out to see if they are easier for me. TIA
jkyliej 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

First I take the alarm and dip in peanut butter.  Then I look at my watch and put one hip wader on (left foot) and call information.  When they answer the phone I stare at the sun until I have to sneeze after which I hang up, fart and disconnect the battery on the vehicle, open the shop door shove the car out to the sloped driveway and wish it the best of luck. 

Hope you like a little humor now and again.

Seriously I usually make my connections first then mount the brain, last hide the wiring.  Although I am thinking I am going to start mounting the brain first then running my wiring so I have less excess to deal with under the dash. 

jkj
jkyliej 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I should also clarify that I have very little experience compared to most on this site.  I'm sure my preferences revealed that right away. detailed how-to for alarm - Last Post -- posted image.
jkj
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Mounting the Brain First can be really slick, but If I ever have to access the brain later it sucks. Like I rarely ever install the antenna wire first, so I almost always need to acces the brain for that since I usually have to snake the antenna wire down from the A Pillar.
1st: Get yourself a good wire diagram of your vehicle and familiarize yourself with the connections.
Next I locate the Ignition, Acc, Start and 12v+ wire in the main Ignition harness that you can trace from the key cylinder.
Then I strip off an inch of the Ign, Acc and Star wires and solder my wires to them. Tape em up real good then do the same to the 12v+ wires.
Then I typically look for the Brake, Parking Lights and door lock wires to see where they are and how accessible they are. Once I have made all the connections to those wires I soldere and tape them.
Then I hook up the ground.
Then I run my Tach and Hood pin wires through the firewall and hook up the tach.
Then I run the antenna up the A pillar and stick the receiver behind the rear view mirror.
I plug everything in and program it and then hook up the hood pin once everything is working. Thenb I mount the brain and put the dash back together.
I am sure I left out some important details, but thats the basic order of things.
Most importantly is testing the wires before making the connections to make sure you are grabbing the right wires. Like I said get a good wire diagram and get to know it. Your first one will take a while.
What vehicle and unit are planning on working with? I may be able to help with more specific information.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
shesaidshewas18 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I just wanted the basic overview of prepping car alarms. Im not a certified installer, nor do I have any schooling to be become one. I havent even gotten past the 10th grade, but Ive installed 44 alarms so far, within the past year. I just want to familiarize myself, just so I can get a good technique down. I dont plan on actually pursuing this as a job, but I love doing it.
Drey 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  

44 jesus, thats a lot to do without it being your job....thats more than i've seen in a year and i do it for a living :\

anyway, find your mounting location first, then prep the alarm... make your "trunk" so your wires are going where they need to be based on the mounting location.  i mount my brains first so you can get exactly what you need on the wire and it lets you do a better job of running etc.  but if you mess up and  you forgot to plug in your antenna or valet switch or led or whatever, it's a biaaatch. so, think it through 3 times before you do anything.  make sure you test EVERY wire you hook up to at least twice.  not all airbag/sensitive wires are in yellow loom or say do not touch, so be careful, take your time, think it through, and success if for you :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic