icon

automate PC shutdown when car is off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davidh_r 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone come across any automated way of dealing with shutting a pc down when you turn the car off?
I was thinking if you ripped up a ups and hooked up the power outage sensor to the 12+ switched line, you use the software to shut the pc down when no voltage is detected?
LqDFx 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
That would work in someway, the only problem I can think of is that you need to keep power enough to the pc long enough for the shutdown process. So you would need to have enough backup power to keep the pc running for the max amount of time that you think the pc would not does take to shutdown.
vealink 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
The automatic shutdown feature is on the vealink system.
technodigifreak 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
shutdown is nice but depending on the system, not entirely necessary.........
I know you're thinking this is nuts, but read on for just few more lines....
the shutdown process is used to move whatever is in the buffer/ram into permanent storage on the HD and finalize any changes to the HD.
If you have an embedded OS or a file system that either journals or the files never get moved, then there is no need for a true system shutdown---
think about it, if you have a system that only plays media movies/music, etc. then there is not a need to shut down the system if nothing has been added or moved on the HD. because the files are staying in the same place and the only thing that gets modified is the data going to the buffers.
if you have an OS with a journalling filesystem then you can powerdown without running shutdown, because when boot up the system the OS will update the HD with the changes longed in the journal
so you have to evaluate the importance of making OS and File changes in your car computer--there are work arounds, delayed power off switches (such as turbo timers)
this is all stuff that you can do, and for on the cheap, I've built 3 carputers and never had a problem with an OS crash or data loss, and the max spent on parts was 500 bucks
it is possible, read up and take notes
Hot-Modder
vealink 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
That's correct but you do want your pc to shutdown for one inportant reason. So it will not drain your battery.
edikp 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Visit  mini-box.com . The module unit you need is called ITPS. I use it for my carputer. Works flawlessly.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic