Spare tire well fiberglass mold release

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phyrez 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Long time reader, first time poster.

Just wondering if you guys had some suggestions for the best method of mold release for a spare tirewell enclosure. I know some people have used aluminum foil, but that doesn't come out looking very good. Some have used saram wrap, or a similar plastic sheet. Which is a little cleaner, but you still have something glued to the back of the enclosure. I've also heard of PVA and mold release waxes. But haven't seen how it is used in the procedure.

Can anybody expand on a good, professional method of releasing the mold?

HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
Well I have used aluminum foil before, but not as a mold release, I used it to cover my work area and also create the mold and save on time instead of using masking tape for the whole area of the mold.  I have heard some people spray WD-40, or even PAM cooking spray.  You can simply spray your tape or foil with either spray and wipe/spread it all over to form a thin coat.  Then you just lay down your glass & resin over the slick surface.  Another method you can use too is spray adhesive.  If you use spray adhesive to stick your mat the the walls and add your glass & resin, the heat from the resin will melt the glue in the spray adhesive and also act as a releasing agent.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
Cover the well with foil and tape up the seams so you don't get leak through. Then spray down the foil with mold release (cooking spray does work). Add your fiberglass and resin and let it cure. Once it sets up you can pull out the mold and peel off the foil.
Aceventura 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

From  to 3 spare tire wells ive done, wax paper was never a problem to peel off the bottem of the enclosure. hope this helps,

jamey

Jamey
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

Wax paper sounds like a good idea too, I think I might give that a try!  Spare tire well fiberglass mold release -- posted image.

Im a fiberglass whore!!
1st place sound 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
try to use what your mom usese in the kitchen. pam no stick or any non stick spray i use it all the time or bees waxs. do not add to much hardener let it do its job slow.
1st place sound if the windows arent shaken youv been taken

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic