icon

Retarded Tinting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vicfuzzy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

Ok.  Today (10-6-04) is my birthday and Finally i am 16 and i can drive... A little off topic but non the less....

I just got my veeery cool system installed (well cool for me) and i want to show it off at school but i don't want to be CHASTIZED for the HORRIBLE tint job that the previous owner's boyfriend did.  It might not have been horrible then, but seeing as how the car is a 94, it has degraded (the tint of course) over the past few years.  I really would like to know how do remove the tint myself or some prices on what this might cost me to fix.  I don't think that it should cost that much unless i get that pimpin' presidential tint (which i am) and i just need to know how much will removing the tint and installing some new tint would cost.

THANKS, YOUR IMPUT IS APPRECIATED

CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
You can remove the tint yourself (if you want). Start on a corner with a razor blade and peel part of it away from the window. Then start pulling gently away and the tint will come off. Then clean off the leftover goo with a spray bottle filled with soapy water and a razor blade scraper. Obviously you can't use the scraper on a rear window with defrost lines.
The price to tint depends on the area you live and the vehicle. Call around and ask is the only real way to know. Tint from a part store is about $10-15 for a 24" x 6.5' roll if you want to DIY. Just make sure you know what the tint laws are for your state.
jortiz 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
I took the tint off five windows on a 92 accord an
it was a @#%$&! The longer that the tint has been on the
windows the harder it is to take it off. Depending on how many windows you have, I would first try what CarAduioHelp said. If its not coming off easily i would
check on prices at a local tint shop. Around Cali, tint removal will cost around $40-$60 bucks.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Castrol Superclean. A while back I had to remove tint, and so I pealed it off. What was left was a transparent substance that mad made lines on the windows, almost like the window was a 500 pc puzzle. I tried everything I could think of, including the ever popular soap/water/razorblade. What I tried last, and as a last resort, was Castrol Superclean. The left over "tint" (or whatever it was) became a goo that could be wiped off with a rag. Now, id suggest getting several old pieces of clothing and cutting them up before hand because whatever you use to wipe the goo off with will never come clean again. So: spray, wipe, wipe again, repeat as many times as necessary. If memory serves i did the entire window in three spray/wipe cycles, and then windex'd it. Much faster then the razor method. But, be warned! Catrol Superclean stinks! its not flammable but it burns the nose.

As far as new tint, the cost is mostly in the labor. Where I have tinted it was the same cost no mater how dark/light smoke/black (reflective was not done because it is illegal!) and its about 40-60 PER window, not for a entire automobile. So, count your windows and do the math....

I cant resist this... Your showing off will put you on the fast track to being "system-less"! Get a alarm, be careful who you show off to, and park smart. Someone here has said it better then that, but that is what I have said for years. Anyhow, good luck and enjoy your new toys.

dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
News print actually works really well. After the tint film is removed, you can take a wadded up piece of newspaper (dry) to the inside of the window. This worked really well for me a few years ago.
There is also a spray de-adhesive you can use to help remove the film.
And as mentioned earlier, if you remove the rear window tint, the chances of the rear-defroster working are quite slim.
DXAV
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
What may help too is a blow dryer or a heat gun.  Tint is just thin stretched out plastic, so heat it up a little starting at a corner and start pulling it back slowly.  Everyone else's replies work great too.  Retarded Tinting - Last Post -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
vicfuzzy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for your great help everyone, i will most likely take it to a dealer on account of those Demonic defrost lines.  I know about the alarms and i am in the process of getting one in m car.  Thanks again for all the great help??

^_^

DSMTommy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Honestly, the best way to remove tint is with steam... I have been tinting for 10 years and it is the only safe and easy method. Apply some steam out of an iron or hand steamer to the tint, wait till you see water behind the tint and peel. easy as that with no extra cleanup....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic