icon

gonna blow it up, good riddance

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Barqer 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

i am so sick and tired of this stereo in my truck, i could fire bomb the whole thing. the highs in my truck have been cutting out whenever the head unit is on. it was doing it for a few  weeks, so i took it to a local shop and the guy told me my subs were installed wrong by a previous installer. not just alittle wrong..ALOT. they are comp kicker vr's, and the installer only hooked up one voice coil on each sub, the other side was shorted out. he attempted to wire them in a series, but on each sub had just wired one voice coil to itself, and the other coil to the amp. lovely.

so the new guy fixed that, and my stereo worked great! for a week. now the highs are cutting out again. im hoping someone here can help me find out what he did to make it work for a short time.  and no, taking it back to him is not an option...sorry

i have 4 12s  on a 1200.1 jbl in the bed, cut through to the cab.  the alpine component 6 1/2s that are in the door, have their pioneer 600 watt amp located in the bed as well. now here is some stuff that i have found out so far to try and help. if i turn on the head unit,  and at any volume, including really low, ALL the lights in the truck blink. like its a short or something. if i unplug the RCAs from the pioneer amp in the back, and turn the head unit on, the subs work fine, and no blinking from the lights. i have torn both doors apart to look at the alpine speakers and crossovers, but they seem to be fine, no bad wiring..this is not a voltage problem, i have 2 yellow tops, a 1 farad cap, and a H/O alternator. for the week after that guy worked on it..it worked great. so anyone have any ideas?

please help me before a 1994 toyota pickup dies a fiery death  =/

thanks

JR

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
A Toyota deserves to die a dignified death, give it an option on how it is to die. Unplug the speaker wires from the Pioneer amp and plug the rca's back in. Does this blinking problem rear it's head, and how about the subs? To me it sounds like the speakers are going to ground somewhere, either at the speaker or crossover, maybe just maybe a speaker wire is grounding out. Just caught the part about the crossovers, are they mounted inside of the door? If so, they may have moisture in them and can infact be dead shorting.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Can't help you with your problem, but if you do decide to blow it up, post pictures gonna blow it up, good riddance -- posted image. gonna blow it up, good riddance -- posted image.
Paul
Barqer 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

hmm..a bare speaker wire contacting the body of the truck could cause a problem like this? thats interesting..that may be the culprit. and yes the crossovers are in the door. i took them apart, they looked clean and dry. so the real test to see if it is the wiring from the amp to the speakers would be to run a test wire outside the truck from the amp to the crossovers..and see if it still does it?

thanks for the help, i think i may be narrowing this down

JR

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Yikes, get the crossovers out of the door before the real rainy and cold season hits. They should either be on the inside of the door panel between the vapour barrier and the door panel or even better is inside of the vehicle itself. If the speaker wires are grounding out, it will cause all sorts of issues as well. Run some temporary speaker lines as you suggested to see if this solves the problem. Also make sure that the tinsel leads or terminals on the speaker are not touching metal as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Barqer 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

thanks, will be trying these solutions soon. appreciate the help

JR

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

I had to fix an install like this before.

The crossover was in the door and a crimp had oxidized just enough to cut off the power to the speaker.

Solution: Relocate all wiring inside of plastic (moisture barrier).

I wonder if the bass has rattled a spade connector loose?

This is why I hate crimps and terminals in mobile electronics. Soldering takes more time because it's worth it.

Barqer 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

RAR! i spent over 4 hours in the truck tonight. i rewired both crossovers to the inside of the truck, running new wires to the speakers in the doors. all the lights in the truck still blink. so i tried what someone suggested, and left the RCA plugged in on the pioneer and disconnected the speaker wires coming from the amp. it still blinks and cuts out. i plugged all that back in, and pulled the RCA's out of the JBL amp..still did it. i did not disconnect the subs from the amp, was getting too dark. may have to try that. is it possible that my head unit is causing this?! its the only other thing that i havent messed with..may have to tear all of that out too..*sigh* any other suggestions?

thanks

JR

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic