icon

Resin & Bondo = Easier Sanding?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I know a lot of people have tried mixing a little bit of resin into their bondo mix because it liquifies the mix and makes it easier to work with and spread, but has anyone noticed that it also makes snading a little easier?  I noticed on the enclosure I am working on now that I did this with, the bondo isn't impossible to sand.  It's just much easier to work with now.   Resin & Bondo = Easier Sanding? -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
hummm, really? I've always used that rage gold stuff, its still a bitch to sand. Bondo's pretty cheap so I'm gona have to try that out. Do you have to add hardener to both the bondo and the resin or just the bondo or what?
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
HottAccord 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah I was gonna also say this might be a little bit of a cheaper than Rage Gold.  I still havent tried that.  Well all I did was pour about 2 full caps from the resin container right into I'd estimate maybe 3/4 of a cup of bondo.  I didnt add any MEKP from the resin into the mix, just mixed in the hardener from the bondo.  I think a while ago someone mentioned adding MEKP with the resin, then mixing it in with the bondo & bondo hardener - I would think this will make it extremely hard and counteract the ease of sanding.  So in my opinion, try a little bit of Bondo & bondo hardener with resin without MEKP.  Resin & Bondo = Easier Sanding? -- posted image.

P.S. Oh and I heard Rage Gold sands like chalk within the 24 hours, after that its exactly the same as Bondo, rock hard!

Im a fiberglass whore!!
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i tried the body filler/resin mixture and added both cream hardner for the body filler and also the mekp and it turned to rock. after i did that i learned that you dont need the mekp in the mixture. oh well.. live and learn right?
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
also if your sanding bondo get a cheese grater and use it just as the bondo starts to harden to get a basic rough shape, it sands easier then
HottAccord 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Im gonna try Rage Gold, yesterday when I went to buy some sandpaper at an auto parts store, I noticed this guy had a huge rack in the back with all kinds of auto body suppies.  I noticed he had Rage Gold there,  so I was curious and had to ask how much it was.  He told me other places sell it for $26, he said I can give you a gallon for $23!  I dont think I can pass up that deal, so Im gonna give it a try!
Im a fiberglass whore!!
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  
man.. around where i live, rage gold is well over 30 bucks a gallon.
killerfishes 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
bondo hardener Is MEKP.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic