icon

relay and fuses?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zoomzoom 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2002 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, Does anyone know what is the amp rating for a Mitsuba RC-2201? 

The second question is that I got the RC-2201 relay for a power trunk release I want to install on my Honda.  I have to do the wiring myself and don't have a lot of (if any) experience with this.  What size fuse should I use for the 12V constant that needs to power this relay?  I measured the resistance across pins 1 & 2 on this relay and got 102.4 ohms.  If the source is 12V (car battery) then if I divide 12V by 102.4 ohm I get 117mA.  Does that mean if I use a 3A fuse, then that will be sufficent?  Like I said, I'm a pre-beginner at this stuff and if you can provide some help, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2002 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

you can just use a 10 amp fuse and if you need this to know whow to do this relay setup go to this setup...

http://members.tripod.com/~BusinessBradenton/trunk.gif

this is how to setup the relay off of an alarm if you need more help email me.

Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2002 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

Hi djfearny2, your link points to this image: relay and fuses? - Last Post -- posted image. However, if you right click on your link, then click "Save Target As" it will save the following image: relay and fuses? - Last Post -- posted image.

In the future if you are using Internet Explorer, you can simply copy and paste the image into your post.

the12volt 

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2002 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
i know 12 vot but most of the time i use aol and it does not let me for some reason so i just put up the link same thing it works right?
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2002 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
No, not the same thing. When you click on your link it only displays the Tripod image and not the image you intended for everyone to see. The only way to view the image that you want us to see is to do a "Save Target As"  if you are using Internet Explorer. Perhaps you can upload it to a different server or try using IE and copying and pasting the image itself.
zoomzoom 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2002 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Jon, thanks for the information and the diagram (thanks the12volt for the 'Save Target As" tip - I can see the diagram :)).  I found out today that the RC-2201 relay will support any application with an amp of 10A-15A.  So I will use a 10A fuse (I found this neat product that lets you 'tap' an existing fuse to make an addition hot 12V wire from it.  The product lets you plug in a second fuse that will be for your device (I like it -nice and simple). 

Jon,  I see that your diagram has a "Release Button" hooked up to the trunk release too.  Does this mean that even before I hook up a trunk release to my alarm unit, I can actually test it out by applying a quick +12V to the wire.  Do most trunk releases work like this (mine if for a Honda).  The trunk release is grounded to the trunk when I screwed it in.  I actually thought the relay has resistor in it so that it is not actually 12V going to the solenoid, but a lower voltage because of the resistance (I've been reading a bit on resistors).

omega 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2002 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

I would just add that you could run several relays on a 3A fuse like you first mentioned.  Also you don't have to buy any products to tap into a fuse.  You can actually use any fuse in your alarm install (like the one that feeds the main power to the alarm) if it is just going to be a relay or two.

Simply splice into the "alarm side" or "fuse side" of the wire that is fused and attach your +12V feed to the relay there.  (I.e. Make sure that you are on the after-fuse side of the wire instead of the before fuse side.)

You can test the trunk release by applying +12V to the wire.  However if there is a resistor like you said (I don't know if there is or not) then you would have to apply the +12V "before" the resistor in the wiring to get it to activate.  Also make sure you have a +12V triggered trunk release.  If you are unsure about the resistor or the trigger method and have a voltmeter, simply probe the wire that is going to the release and see what happens when you press the button in car.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic