icon

whispering High Medallion Siren

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
efeezy27 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
I got an intelliguard 7000, all is working fine except for the siren output.  The siren is Clifford's high medallion output siren w/ the two black twin leads connecting onto the alarm.  Problem is that the output is very low, I can hear the six tones and chirps fine but just at a minimal volume.  On the black twin leads going into the siren (polarity bias or not?)  I don't believe so...  Anyways, how can  I test if the siren is fine or what tapped connections should I check in order for the siren to properly scream.
jkyliej 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Take the leads from the siren and connect one to the negative side of the battery and the other to the positive.  If it screams then you have a wiring problem somewhere in between your bain and the siren splice and or the ground you chose for the siren.  Please read the installation instructions carefully specifically about the siren wire connections to see if there is mention of polarity issues before testing with car battery.
jkj
cosmoworks 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
The medallion siren is NOT polarity biased. Do not connect the terminals to the battery! Try out another siren to see if your problem is siren oriented or brain oriented.
Also try removing the siren from the engine bay and connecting it directly to the alarm (bypassing the wire running thru the firewall), in case the wire is accidently grounded somewhere.
jkyliej 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

What else do you suggest for a guy that doesn't have extra fully functioning sirens laying around to test with? Can you give us your reason why you would not attempt to chirp the siren from the battery or another 12 volt source?

jkj
cosmoworks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
The medallion siren does not work like a normal +12V and ground siren does. The drive electronics are located in the brain, not the siren.
His other option is to use a standard +12V/ground siren. Connecting the positive to +12 (fused) and the ground wire to the (-) out on the alarm (yellow wire for IG7000).... but in this case, he loses the custom siren sounds.
efeezy27 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks cosmoworks for confirming that the siren is not polarity bias.  

I bought two itelliguard8000 as the same time last year to.  One of the alarms I installed right away into a Suburban and has been functioning fine eversince but the second I am just making use of now.   Anyways,  on the first alarm I had also replaced the high medallion siren with a smartsiren4.  To add information about troubleshooting steps that I have taken, I do have an extra siren off the first and have connected it directly to the twin two wire output from the brain's harness.  Same results, siren functions fine but is quiet.  The only thing that I can think of is perhaps my ground tap is not making good contact to the chassis. 

Any ideas as to what wires I should probe for?

cosmoworks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Connect your ground tap to chassis utilizing a bolt if possible, and sand off the surface until it's bare metal. I always put a tab of conductive grease on the bare metal before attaching my grounds to prevent corrosion.
Then make sure both of your positive's are good (the red and RED / white). Run them directly to the battery (fused of course) to avoid potential voltage drops.
You might just have a bad brain. The likelihood of both sirens going out it less likely to happen. I have two IG7000's personally and the siren output on one of them acts funny. I just switched to a standard siren and used the yellow (-) siren output instead of using the medallion.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic