icon

2000 Grand am Stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Huge101 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  

I plan on installing some infinity kappa 6x9's in my pontiac. I need to know how to removing the rear deck in order for me to access the rear speakers. I need help with this problem.

Its a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am 2 door

Shake it, Don't break it
Huge101 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

The stock speaker size in my Grand am for the front doors are 4x6's. I am wondering if i could fit a 5.25'' speaker or even a 6.5''. What size would be the best fit in my front doors.

2000 Pontiac Grand Am 2 door coupe

Shake it, Don't break it
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

Probably the 4x6 that it came with.  That's why they came w/ 4x6 and not 6x9's.  Besides that you could modify the opening to fit the 5.25 or even 6.5.  I've got 5.25 aftermarket speakers in my doors and i could probably fit some 6.5 in but I really don't need it b/c i've got the sub to fill in bass and 6x9 in the back to do the midbass.  But look at the opening and see how much it'll take to maybe grind a little metal to make the whole a little bigger.  Make sure you don't go through wires or a power window.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

If my memory is right, the speaker is attached to some god awful plastic baffle that is either bolted to or riveted to the door skin.  Remove this baffle and make a new one of of 1/2" or 3/4" mdf. You should then be able to fit in a oversize 6.5" speaker. Once you have made the baffle and cut out the mounting hole in it, place it up against the door and you more than likely will have to cut out som eof the metal on the interior doorskin, on the top and bottom section only. Make sure you check for mounting depth as well.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

I know w/ the grand prix you have to remove the back seat bottom (there are some latches at the bottom that you have to pull i think then the seats pop up) then unbolt the seatbelts to remove the back of the seat.  After that there are a few more bolts to remove to get the deck off.  All in all it took me like an hour just to take the seat out the first time.  A PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think the grand am's are simmilar.  Call a local shop (circuit city is where i went) to find out where to start.  Good Luck!!!

tenny 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
mentra makes an adapter for this, its what i used on my install i believe the part number was for 3300, it says its a cavalier 4x6-5.25 or 6.5 adapter, it works great!
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
if you do any grinding to make the opening larger.  Be shure to role up the window so you don't pit it with molten metal.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden is correct. The factory speaker is mounted to a plastic baffle board. Use the outline of it and create a duplicate from 1/2 inch MDF or even better 1/2 plastic/plexiglass. Plastic will last longer with moisture in the door. Trace the outline and the screw mounting holes from the original to the new piece. Drill a hole closer to bottom half of the new board for your new speaker. I recommend using a 6&1/2 inch speaker. This will play the mid bass better and is shallow enough to fit in the door. If you are careful with your measurements, you won't have to cut any of the door. I've done this many times. You will love the end result in the improvement in sound quality and output. The best thing is it should only take an hour or two. If your budget allows, consider a component set of speakers. You can mount the woofer in the door and mount the tweeter further up where you can actually hear it. GM engineers think our ears are in our ankles. Mount the tweeter in the upper door panel where space permits and where it sounds good.
sparky
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Remove the upper and lower back seat. It's bolted in with the seat belts. The lower back seat probably has bolts under the front edge at the carpet to remove it. Remove the trim panels along both sides of the rear deck. They are usually held in place with plastic push trees and maybe screws on the lower ones. You can then pull the rear parcel shelf forward and out to get to the speakers.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic