Speakers/power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nunog 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hi

I'd like to know what your opinion is about the right speakers to choose (in terms of power-watts) when you have only the radio amp that is 4x 45 watts.

I'm asking this because i believe that choosing speakers prepared for too much watts will keep the radio from exciting them, therefore producing less sound specially at low volume.

What would be the maximum value of peak power that you would choose with such a radio output?

Thank you.

Nuno Gomes
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
well your best guess is a speaker that does 22.5 WRMS and 45 WPEAK ... Unless you want to get a separate amp, which is what i recommend.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
nunog 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

I don't mean to be rude, after all, i was the one who asked for info, but i find it hard to believe that with an Alpine 7860R with 4x 45 watts i will get the most of it with 45 watt speakers.

Please don't be offended, it's just a persistent doubt.

Nuno Gomes
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
A speaker will only put out what it is given. Speakers produce sound in decibels, not watts. Throw the wattage rating out the window for now. Your deck will struggle to produce a real honest to god 18 watts in most cases. Your speakers can be rated as high as you like in the terms of watts, they will only produce what you send into them. Thus the speaker can be as high as you want as far as a wattage rating goes. If speaker A has a db rating of 93 db 1w/1m and speaker B has a rating of 90db 1w/1m, speaker A will play noticeably louder. What should be more important for you is how the speaker sounds, not the wattage rating.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know if  you directed your post to me, but to my understanding you were running these speakers off of your head unit, and not a separate amp. Forbidden makes a valuable point though. It will struggle to put out that kind of power.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
nunog 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

I have 4 JBL 180 watt peak, 60 watt rms and 90db sensitivity. At low levels you can´t hear them very well

So, getting speakers with lower power in watts and lower sensitivity would help keeping sound at low volume better and not so good at higher volume?

If you could choose from all the values in watts and sensitivity for this situation (4x 45 watts from radio), can you please tell me what your choice would be? So that i can understand exactly.

Thanks.

Nuno Gomes
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

90 db is a good starting point, like I said, forget all about the watts. At lower volume levels there is just not alot of power being produced by the tiny little amplifier in the cd player. If you want the speaker to be louder at lower volume, then you would need a speaker with a higher sensitivity rating. Unfortunately they may sound like bat barf though. I would choose my speakers knowing this.

(1) no speakers sound alike, buy the ones that your ears like.

(2) your tiny little amp will always be a tiny little amp no matter what speakers are used.

Based on this, if you want better sound at a lower volume level, you need an amplifier to drive those speakers much better. Power from an amp will clean up your sound, give more definition at lower volume levels and of course will play much louder if you want it to.

nunog 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have an old Sony XM-2020 amp 20watt x2. Do you think it would help if connected to my rear speakers?

If not i can´t think of buying a good amp right now.

Thanks.

Nuno Gomes
forbidden 
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
It would give you a marginal increase in output levels. If you have it, try it. You might learn a little about how power affects speakers at the same time.
nunog 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you. I´ll try it and let you know.

I´ll wait for the rain to stop. :)

Nuno Gomes
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic