icon

TV influencing bad installs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
now normally im not one to start some topic unless its gonna help me, but one thing i noticed when i came to this forum is the difference between good and bad installs.
Today i was watching SpikeTV today at lunch, and there was a hot-roddin show on, i forget the name of it, has 2 guys one blondie you could see in dukes of hazard, and a large dark skinned guy. anyways, they were upgradin this trans-am i think, and it had 2 MTX 12's i think, both in a single enclosure (could have been seperated in the box though), and the guys were installing a panasonic deck, a cap, and an amp.
now granted the trunk had very limited room, but for this installation the guys chose to stick the cap, and the amp on the top of the sub's box, now one thing i've come across is you could cause problems to your amp if you do this, because of box flex (vibration as well??).
my question is, do you think people would be influenced to do an install like this because they've seen it done on TV. and do you think if those guys tune their cars to the nuts as they do, why would they go through with a mount like that? is it that important?
i kinda laughed when i saw it, but had an onze of sympathy for the owners who were actually coming to see it (which i missed ;/).
well thats my rant, anyone agree or disagree?
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

Monkey see Monkey Do....

TV influencing bad installs? -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
LqDFx 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

I think bad installs come from lack of time, correct materials, and knowledge. I know myself, that when I put my first stereo in that is was a learning experience for me. I did a crappy job on it and it looked bad. The thing was that I was proud that I did it myself though. I learned from that install and the next one I did I took more time and found the materials I needed to make it better. Now I am on my 10th install of my own personal system and I found ways to get the job done faster, look better, and done correctly. Like anything you do, with time comes knowledge and experience.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
I gotta point out that mounting an amp to a box is completly fine. If the box is constructed properly than its not gonna flex anyways. But I have mounted, literally, countless amps to boxes and never once have I had a problem with it. I am gonna bet that anyone who installs for a living is gonna say the same thing.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, you would need some serious vibrations to screw up an amp.
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
my bad then, i thought (and dont quote me ;/) DYohn said something in a thread month(s) back. then again he could have been referring to something else. but thanks for clarification
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah mounting an amp to a box is cool.  Mine's like than now and it's fine.  Just make sure it doesn't interfere w/ the amp or the sub and doesn't damage the box.  But yeah I'm with /r7.  TV has to have some influence.  Talked to a guy today I work w/ and I told him I got my 10" back in my trunk.  He was like "what just one ten?  Man my twelves will kick your's"  i was SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sure of that!!!  (smart @$$ comment).  Turns out he had to sony xplodes and powered by an xplode amp.  Oh man did those NOT hit.  He thought they were so cool though b/c this girl got them on the show pimp my ride.

PS this guy thought his amp was pushing 600 watts x 2.  and that his subs handled 1000 watts each.  *sigh*  what is america comming to?

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

I am generally not one to point things like this out but you said, and I quote      

"now granted the trunk had very limited room, but for this installation the guys chose to stick the cap, and the amp on the top of the sub's box, now one thing i've come across is you could cause problems to your amp if you do this, because of box flex (vibration as well??)."

Does this not imply that you arrived at this conclusion by your own experiences and not what some one else said? 

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
i could have been more detailed when i wrote my first post.
i came across that, through this board, and not my own experiances. i may have misread the post i was reading when i came to that conclusion, but i cant be sure what it said anymore.
but your right raven to what i said.
xythex 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
Has a lot to do if your box is made out of 3/4 MDF or old waterlogged paneling pulled from the basement.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic