icon

Amp isnt getting power?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
makaveli3004 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Hey my problem is my amp isnt getting power. recentley i bought new subs and as i turned up the amp while tuning it all over a sudden it stopped playin and the amp protection light went on i  turned everything down and shut off the car. then when i restarted the car there was no power running to the amp or the power cap. checked the inline fuse it was melted so i replaced it thinking this was the problem but still i get no power. could the problem be a possible ground problem. and if it is  can someone inform me how to remove the back seats in a 97 toyota camry as too this is where bestbuy grounded my wire. thanx for any help.
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
what subs did you put in...what kind of amp...the only reason why i ask is because it sounds like you toasted your amp...not a ground problem...by the way...if best buy put it in...take it back to them and have them test it with a volt meter...lifetime warranty on installation...its what you payed for.
makaveli3004 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
i installed 2 12" kicker cvr's both 400 watts rms and a jbl 1201.1 mono channel amp.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
it fride the fuse on the amp, or on the power wire by the battery...are the fuse sizes correct
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Trace the Power wire all the way. Sounds like it grounded out somewhere and caused the fuse to MELT as you said.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

bumpingjeep wrote:
by the way...if best buy put it in...take it back to them and have them test it with a volt meter...lifetime warranty on installation...its what you payed for.

I agree. Bring it in under warranty. Don't tell them you did anything other than replace the fuse, otherwise they might call it your fault for messing with their install.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
Diefex 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
lets say he fried the fuse on the amp, what would the problem be then? is the amp blown? repairable? because i had the same problem.
bkoopman 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
If he fried the fuse on the amp, it's possible it's blown. If it is blown, you can pretty much count on it being able to be fixed. Most amps can be fixed - there are a few exceptions, but they're really hairy stuff (saltwater damage, holes in boards, etc).
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
Diefex, check with your local shops, or if you have none, look around for a electronics repair shop, or even a technician who works out of his home (I have one guy who has fixed a couple of amps and one guy who fixes my TV's who both work out of their home.) If you look around, there are some really good people. If your fuse blew, and you replaced it and it didn't blow again, but won't turn on, there's probably something fried in the amp.  Maybe try unhooking all the power from it for a day or so and try it again. (???) Might clear out something (???) I'm not a pro or anything, so I could be so far off track that the real pros are giggling at me right now. Something to try anyways. 
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic