icon

fog light supervision

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
i have a viper 350 hv and was wondering if it would be a good idea to wire the fog lights into the dome light supervision output, that way when i disarm the alarm or turn off the ignition my fog ligths will come on. is the relay wiring the same?
gcorrea
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Bad idea . . .
gcorrea 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
why?
gcorrea
the1alchemist 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
yeah why not? the 350 probably has 2 batteries..
the wiring is BASICALLY the same,I dunno how good you are with relays,but it is very simple,you could probably use a couple diodes as well,but you SHOULD already have a relay,it just depends on how the relay for the fog lts are wired now..anytime? switched on only? parking lights,head,& high beams? just high+just low? if the lights are a prerequisite for the fogs,then you might need another relay as well,to retain what they do already,+do what you want them to do..
I haven't thought it through,so b4 you do it,maybe you should see what Teken has to say..
otherwise,if you want to discuss it,and brainstorm about it,pm me..I live to help others!..and rest assured if you ask me,I will think about why or why not more than the next guy..the proverbial next guy..
I haven't been posed with that exact situation b4,but that is my car audio life defined..haven't done more than I have!(exactly,anyway!)you know what I mean!!!
L8r People..
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
gcorrea wrote:
why?
1. How old is the vehicle?
2. How old is the battery?
3. Is the alternator the original?
4. What is the current draw / watts of the fog lamps?
5. What is the output duration (time) of the supervision?
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
gcorrea 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

1.88 chevy silverado

2.optima red top about six months

3.no, high output at 145amps

4.two 55 watt xenon blue bulbs

5.one minute

i have them on with ignition control, via a relay of course, with a 15 amp fuse so basically the lights are on when the engine is running, something like daylight running lights.

gcorrea
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
You will need a seperate relay (20-30 ampere is fine)and diode isolate to ensure there is no problems.
Ensure the proper guage wire and fusing is done. Realize that 9.17 continous amperes will be drawn for the whole one minute duration. This does not take into account the 1-2 amps from the dome light.
If the vehicle is not driven very long, or inclement weather conditions should arrise.
You will experience a no start situation. Please consider the pro's and con's for doing so.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
at work tonight i noiced DEI made a module for this application. well... for headlights that is. illuminated path or something. its something like 545T but i think thats the central locking module... ill look again and write the number down. its probably just 2 high current relays, maybe with a built in timer or something. its worth a look.
MECP certified installer
gcorrea 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
cool guys, but i wont have the domelight come on just the foglights so that would be minus 1-2 amp. would a 1 amp diode like for the shock sensors work fine.
gcorrea
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
gcorrea wrote:
would a 1 amp diode like for the shock sensors work fine.
I would opt for a 6 ampere diode if it was being used as the primary feed. But since it is only using the output from the alarm output to activate the coil of the relay, all you need is a one ampere diode.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic