the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what possible backdraft from this setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

We never came across this , and just thought about it. We already know that when you're running a system, Everything should be matched up such as ohm load, amps and etc.

We have this 1000 / 1 Mono Class D amp.
Running on two "x" 12's DVC's at @ 4 ohmz.   Now,  we have another set of  "B" 12 SVC's and would like to run them all together off that one amp. Now how would we do this? Would we just attach the SVC's in parellel with the 12 DVC's?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Your final impedance of a DVC will have to equal the impedance of an SVC.  For example, a DVC 2 ohm woofer can be wired with a SVC 4 ohm woofer...as long as the DVC is wired in series to make 4 ohms.  I can't tell from your post exactly what you have to work with.  But whether one woofer is wired in parallel to another woofer, or in series...all depends on what the final outcome in ohms will be, and what the particular amp can handle.  Post all the particulars.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

This is an interesting one, It would depend totally on how the dvc's are wired and this only. If the dvc's are wired in a series/parallel circuit, they are infact a 4 ohm load, then with that load wired in parallel with the svc 4 ohm drivers, a final load of approx 1.33 ohms will be presented to the amp. Now if the sub are dvc subs are parallel or series wired, then wired in any type of series or parallel circuit with the svc 4 ohm drivers, this will place either a highly unstable load on the amp or a real wacky load of say for arguements sake 11.657 ohms. While the latter may be safe, it is a combined unstable load of subs that may be 8 ohms, 2 ohms and 4 ohms. This is entirely dependent on how the dvc 4 ohms would be wired.

<Edit> Stevdart, go to bed, it's late for you. I just finished cramming a volleyball down someone's throat and had to come back to work on a box.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks alot. I'll get back to you guys on this.

94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

Ok on this, We ran on a different amp now,

its a 1600 watt / 2 channel amp
still with the same speakers, two ten's(SVC), two twelves (DVC)
The DVC's are capable of running 2, 4, 8 ohm load, But with this we ran the DVC's on OPTION 2
what possible backdraft from this setup? -- posted image.
And as for the SVC's (10's)
We just ran them parellel to the DVC's as shown
what possible backdraft from this setup? -- posted image.
The sound of this is not pretty at all.
The 12's loose alot of bass, and they all sound like distortion, the kind were as if it was out of phase.! anyone got any ideas or suggestions. We already know that this is a retarded setup, but its fun experiment for us!!! hahah good thing nothing caught on fire yet! what possible backdraft from this setup? -- posted image.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
Are they outta phase? Bump each coil and make sure they are marked properly
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
I am betting on crossphase      running 10' and 12's in the same space (trunk)   can come close to canceling each other out
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

94legend wrote:
The DVC's are capable of running 2, 4, 8 ohm load,

They're not quite that versatile.  Either 1 ohm or 4 ohms using two of them.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
i still say pick one size sub and sitck with it,    get 4 10's or 4 12's   I would run 2 of each
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

jeffchilcott wrote:
I am betting on crossphase      running 10' and 12's in the same space (trunk)   can come close to canceling each other out
We placed the 12's (DVC) in the trunk,  and ran the 12 guage speaker wire underneath the seats and out to the back seats into the 10's. (4 door vehicle) So the box is sitting on the rear seats. ( the rear seats were removed).

But we will go ahead and test each coil tonight.   Hopefully they were out phase!

What also made us to conclude that it is out phase because of the fact that once we removed the 10's from this retarded pitcure, the 12's were pushing normally. So we'll definitely review this setup. We are not giving up on this until it XPLODS! lol get it XPLOD!!! hahahah .....................what possible backdraft from this setup? -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic