icon

Circuit Breaker?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

We came across a friends system. He had a different Private audio dealer install his sytem for $1800

They ran a circuit breaker in his trunk. Now we do not run that much power. Usually the basic small stuff. Ours clean but just not so much power.
We can't seem to find more info specs on this circuit breaker. if anyone can help us out with a link or some info it would be great  thanks again!

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
Circuit breaker in the trunk? Here are the only reasons I can think of: a German car with the battery in the trunk. An additional battery with a breakered output. Someone read the instructions wrong and fused the amp 18" from the amp and not from the battery.
Not enough info is given to be able to help with the type of circuit breaker! Give us more info!
94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

Yes you are correct, the battery is located in the trunk. His vehicle is a BMW M3 series. I believe its a 1992. His amps are the punch

p(#)002. Im not so sure which one but hes running one of the p's for his 2 subs, then the other punch is for his interrior mids and highs. Hope this info will help! and his deck is a JVC 2004 model, the touch screen one.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
well the curcuit breaker should be used in place of the fuse, so it should be the same as the size fuse that should be there based on the amps...what exactly is the problem is it broken?    if so you can replace with the correct fuse with a in line holder    or replace the breaker with the right amperage    they work just the same as fuses but they are resetable, but I have had a few instances where they stick in the on position and they wont pop when there is a surge so I would recommend running fuses
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Ahh, I can see what you are saying. The Circuit Breaker act as an "inline fuse", which is in between the battery, and the amp or distribution block.  Correct me if i am wrong, so from the information that i am gathering... The Circuit breaker replaces the fuse (which is bewteen the battery and amp/ distribtuion block)  because of the fact that the amount of power that is being used in this scenario is very large?   The Circuit breaker that I see, is a very large one which seems to be an 0/1 gauge power wire on both ends . I'll see if i can get a clear picture of that circuit breaker to help  get my thoughts a clearer explanation.

94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

THere is no problem at all with the circuit breaker. What i am trying to do is understand the concept of the circuit breaker, such as the advantages, dis-advantages. Drawbacks, the purpose, comparing them to regular fuses that are being used.   Thanks again!

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I see what you are saying. A circuit breaker offers one big advantage over a fuse, when the fuse blows it's done, a breaker can be reset usually with the push of a button. There are different types of resets. 1. Push a button and it resets. 2 The breaker will keep resetting itself until the fault is cleared (cycling) and 3. Reset won't occur until you remove voltage from the Hot side of the unit. There are choices for different applications.
Is one better than the other? Well if either one stops you car from catching fire, I guess not! Both serve to prevent shorting out your battery or blowing up your equipment. Some say the contacting components inside C.B's are small and barely addiquate. Looking at a fuse, the element doesn't look addiquate either. Both work! A fuse offers simplicity and sometimes a clue to why it failed (blackening, bent element). For very sensitive gear, fuses off speed. The element can react quicker than a C.B. Both come in waterproof styles and almost any amperage.   
I use both breakers and fuses: A circuit breaker on my invertor since differt loads will cause surges. This one is self resetting @ 150Amps. At $10 t0 $20 and the time it takes to change, a fuse didn't make sense here. For audio I use ANL fuses (wafer fuse) from the battery to my distro block @ 200Amps. This fuse is large enough to feed the amps. (Zapco C2k-4.0, 6.0, 9.0)if this fuse blows I know there is a direct short in the power supply cable, would not want it to reset until the problem was found.
Two great sources for fuses, breakers and supplies are waytekwire.com and darvex.com.
Not sure if this helps or not . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic