icon

Defroster Set Up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jweb 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Got the alarm install completed but now I have a question.  The alarm is a Valet 563T installed in a 02 Astro and the way I understand it, when the vehicle remote starts, the alarm outputs a negative ma signal to start the defroster with the OEM timer.  As I understand it, the defroster is activated every time the vehicle is remotely started.  Why would DEI design a dedicated defroster output to run like this even in summer?  Does DEI have a workaround or a way to program this differently? Defrosters take a lot of current and I'm not too happy with this situation unless I am misunderstanding it all.     Help?    Thanks,  Joe
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Universal design for a lot of different applications and different climates all over the world, not just U S & Canada, dictate DEI and others having many options
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
did you ever thing of buying the pulse/timer relay DEI also sells? you can add it to an extra channel, or install a toggle switch to shut it off for the summer months. the defogger output is for 10min anyway. the current wont hurt anything since the motor is running, but its more wear and tear on the defogger itself.
as far as the factory timer, that depends on the car. most GMs ive done use a (+) trigger to a heavy purple wire on the back of the switch. as long as that has 12volts the defogger stays on. mine doesnt shut off unless i hit ch4 again. and the relay is wired to get 12v from the ign 1 wire, so the defogger wont run if the car isnt running.
MECP certified installer
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
I put a switch on the defroster output wire. Before winter I flip it on, after winter I shut it off.
Jweb 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
I was hoping I was wrong about how it worked so I guess the toggle switch is the way to go.  Thanks everyone for the information.   JW

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic