icon

mb quart sub and amp question?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigmikeww 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking of getting 3 of the mbquart reference subs. they handle around 300 watts? and I'm also looking to get there reference series mono amp to push it. my question is is there a way to get the ohms right? they have a dual 2 ohm and a dual 4 ohm sub? i would like to run it at 1 ohm to get the full power. the rating at 2ohms is 500 watts.
and with a different question i stopped by a shop in town and a guy told me that if you hook up subs to a mono amp that they each will see the same amount of power. Meaning if you hook up 2 subs to a 800 watt amp, them they both will see the 800 watts. i always thought that they would basically divided the power between the two of them?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

When you hook subs up to an amp, they will indeed share the amps output equally provided they are like subs and hooked up in the same fashion. If one sub is wired in parallel to 2 ohms (based on a dvc 4 ohm) and the other is hooked up in series to 8 ohms, then the output level would differ from sub to sub. Should both subs be wired as 2 ohm or both wired as 8 ohm then they will share the output equally. With this amp that you are considering, it is a safe bet to purchase 3 of either type of subs. Here are the possible wiring scenarios for you.

Wiring Option #1

mb quart sub and amp question? -- posted image.

Wiring Option #1

mb quart sub and amp question? -- posted image.

This second scenario will load the amplifier much more effectively and will produce more output due to the lower resistance being shown to the amp. This is also an equal load shared by the 3 speakers. This is the way that I would go myself provided that the amp is 1 ohm engineered, not just capable.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bigmikeww 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
this would be ok with the amp even though its not exactly 1 ohm or 2 ohms? as long its not under 1 ohm right? the next series up from the reference subs are the premium and they are rated at 600 watts. so with the 3 of these i can run one of their 1000 mono amps. and should be able to turn the gain done a little. and all three will see relatively the same amount of power right?
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

As long as the load presented to the amp does not dip below 1 ohm, then you are fine.

bigmikeww 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
BTW about the question earlier whoever told you a mono amp that produces 800 watts say at 4 ohm if you hook up more then one sub they both will see 800 is far from wrong, you are completly right they power will be divided
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
BTW about the question earlier whoever told you a mono amp that produces 800 watts say at 4 ohm if you hook up more then one sub they both will see 800 is far from wrong, you are completly right they power will be divided
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
bigmikeww 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
yes i just heard form Mbquart support and he said that the subs will divide the power between them.
this is his reply from the same question as the first post.
      Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Jeff) - 10/14/2004 06:26 AM
Mike,
You will want to use all of the same impedance of subwoofers. In this case looking at the RAA1000, than you will want to use three of the dual 2 ohm subwoofers. You will want to wire those series, and the parallel the group of three together and that will work very well. This will give each speaker over 300 watts RMS and work well with the Reference line subwoofers. The speakers will divide the power. I believe that the dealer used the wrong way of saying this by meaning that they will get the same amount of power but it will just be divided.
Thank you
forbidden 
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Guess some of us know our stuff around here, eh? mb quart sub and amp question? -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic