icon

Amp location

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,   I have a 98 Ford Windstar with premium marked on the door speaker covers so I think its supposed to be Premium sound system.  Where is the amp located?  I want to change the radio and get the right wiring harness.   I have a JVC radio/cd changer I want to install and I need to see if I have to bypass the premium sound amp, if I have one.

Thanks

Harv
premieremind 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
ford amps are usually found in the LR above the wheel well compartment.......good luck
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
you might want to pull yoru radio first to check and see if thier is a amp its the easiest way to check,    if thier are leads for each speaker then you dont have an amp, if there only about 5-6 wires total   guess what there is one in there somewhere
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

Jeff,   I pulled the radio.  One plug has 8 wires.  I figure those are speakers.  The other plug had 5 wires.  The 3rd smalll plug was for the rear seat radio control.  I used a Scosche FD02 wiring harness and I decided not to connect the Blue and Blue/White wire in the harness.  If there is an amp then I shouldn't get sound out of the speakers since I didn't connect the amp turn on lead. My radio did play without the blue wires hooked up so I figured there was no amp. Unless I'm wrong.   I think Premium on the speaker grilles is a mis-nomer.

Thanks  

Harv
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
My brother had a '90 Mustang that had "Premium" labled on the speakers. Trust me, it's not the premium sound system.
Paul
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
thats typically why i will pull a radio and also if I can get to s speaker and see if the wires match there and i can get a signal using a 1.5 volt or 9 volt battery thru the wires..   now the wires not matching behind the dash and at the speakers is not always the tell tale of an amp..I have had a few vehicles where the speaker wires go from one color to the other, but glas to see everything worked out..
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
saranykm 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
all you have to do is get the wire harness and when you make your connections ( i hope with solder) you take the two black wires (ground) and solder them to the black wire (ground again) to the head unit...my brother has an expedition and he had the same problem i was lost and confused untill i tried that. what your basically doing is grounding the head unit as well as the amp at the same time...however if you want you can go with an amp bypass, but thats just a waste of time/money....good luck
gorilla

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic