icon

Fiberglass trunk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

This is my first post so I’m sorry ahead of time for any mistakes I may make.

I have a 1999 Durango and I’m looking to make a custom enclosure from the second row seat back to the opening of the trunk. I have made to other pieces with fiberglass a playstation and xbox rack that look as if they are popping out of the floor, and a sub box with fiberglass to achieve the desired cures. I currently have 2 JL 10 W0's that sound great but I’m thinking of adding 2 JL 12 W0s. When I make the subs pop out should I fiberglass from the speakers to the box to seal it and then fiberglass over it to the sides of the truck or just go from the speakers to the side of the truck. If I am confusing the heck out of you tell me and ill try and rethink the way I described it.

And I’ve seen some people using what it looks like plexiglass with a dust coating on it. What exactly is it?

drsnoze 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

i dont know if you can read that casue i cant

I have a 1999 Durango and I’m looking to make a custom enclosure from the second row seat back to the opening of the trunk. I have made to other pieces with fiberglass a playstation and xbox rack that look as if they are popping out of the floor, and a sub box with fiberglass to achieve the desired cures. I currently have 2 JL 10 W0's that sound great but I’m thinking of adding 2 JL 12 W0s. When I make the subs pop out should I fiberglass from the speakers to the box to seal it and then fiberglass over it to the sides of the truck or just go from the speakers to the side of the truck. If I am confusing the heck out of you tell me and ill try and rethink the way I described it.

And I’ve seen some people using what it looks like plexiglass with a dust coating on it. What exactly is it?

drsnoze 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1999 Durango and I’m looking to make a custom enclosure from the second row seat back to the opening of the trunk. I have made to other pieces with fiberglass a playstation and xbox rack that look as if they are popping out of the floor, and a sub box with fiberglass to achieve the desired cures. I currently have 2 JL 10 W0's that sound great but I’m thinking of adding 2 JL 12 W0s. When I make the subs pop out should I fiberglass from the speakers to the box to seal it and then fiberglass over it to the sides of the truck or just go from the speakers to the side of the truck. If I am confusing the heck out of you tell me and ill try and rethink the way I described it

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

First:  Are you doing 12" and 10" subs?  If so then don't.  That will sound like crap.  If it's just two 12" then I wouldn't do that either.  Upgrade to two 10" 10w3v2.  Save a couple extra bucks and it will be worth it (more power handling abilities and a better sq in my oppinion).

Second:  I think I get what you want w/ what to fg.  Go from the speaker ring to the side of the box.  Tack the fleece to the side and fg that.  Make sure that when you are putting the resin down that you go over the edge enough to let the resin absorb into the mdf.  This will seal the fg and the mdf base.  Understand?

Third:  If the dust coating is in a pattern (like logos or a design) then yes that's plexiglass you see (or something equivilent).  And that "dust coating" is normally a sanded area of the plexi to give it a "frosted" look.  It's normally done by a sandblaster I think.

drsnoze 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
I'm just curious you think that 2 12s and 2 10s would sound bad? Right now ive got the 2 10s and i couldnt be more impressed. But i think that becasue the trunk is so big that it would look funny with only two little subs taking up the back. Thats why i was thinking of adding 2 12s to the system.
Fiberglass trunk -- posted image. Sorry i did that in paint. Should i only fiberglass path 1 or Fiberglass path 2 and then fiberglass path 1. Please keep in mind that the whole trunk is getting fiberglassed.
the first pictue of the JL logo with the green neon behind it, how would that be achieved.
drsnoze 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.jlaudio.com/Gallery/InstallDetail.cfm?Veh_ID=234
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
get 2 more 10's, that will eliminate the posiblity of the subs size causing cancelation of different frequencies being produced at the same time. 4 10's would be ungodly loud Fiberglass trunk -- posted image.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
drsnoze 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
4 10s doesnt sound like a bad idea.
drsnoze 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
any and all imput is extremely valued and appriciated
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah when you combine 12" and 10" subs they DON'T sound good.  It's like playing one 10" sub at one frequency and another 10" sub at another.  They don't go together good.  Anyways the four 10" subs sound like a sweet setup too.

If you're fging the whole trunk then fg the whole trunk.  It doesn't hurt to fg the box either.  If you're blasting four 10" subs then that's a lot of pressure for a flat surface.  I'd go ahead and fg it.  And I would still wait and get the 2 10w3v2.  Might be small but I bet when you have the power they want they will put two 12" (MTX, Alpine, RF, JBL, Audiobahan, Infinity, maybe even some of the Eclipses') subs to shame (sq and spl).  I've got one 10" Infinity and I kill my friend's 12" Power Coustic (he doesn't have the best but there is still no comp. to mine and his).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic