icon

high level problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
taehwan_jkim 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
i just hooked up my series 1 RF 2channel amp to my front speakers, i used line level input to the amp with my factory deck, the front speakers pop when i the deck turns on, i heard it might be some kind of ground problem??? also when i crank up the volume the speakers cut out...the deck is still on, playing, the amp is on...but no sound, it has to be something within the head unit because the rear speakers dont play, and the subs dont play...WHY?
taehwan_jkim 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, the car is a 2005 scion tc, and the speakers are infinity reference 6002, and the stock head unit puts out 160 watts...any help would be greatly appreciated
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Oftentimes the high level built into the amp is not sophisticated and well-built enough to handle the voltage from the OEM deck.  For better results and better frequency response, use a high quality aftermarket LOC.  That may cure some of the problem.  Get that much done and then you may need some further fine tuning of the system, e.g. setting the gain.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

"...understood, however the rear speakers and subs arent going through this amp, the rear speakers aren't amped yet, and the subs are tapped to the rears, however they cut out with the fronts...is this somehow also related to inefficiency of the high level on the speaker amp as well? thank you for your time btw...".............................pm message

The only time I've ever tried using the built-in high level amp input, there was so much wrong with the speakers...polarity, volume, cutting out, some loud some barely audible, etc....it took me days to troubleshoot it down to the point where I realized the problem was in the high level input.  (Virgin newb at the time.)  Using a good LOC solved it all.

You could just disconnect the amp (pull fuse in the power wire), pull out the amp high level input plug...and you're back to where you started.  Does the deck work correctly?  If yes, the problems you have are not in the deck.  If the deck is acting up, there's the culprit.

If you suspect a problem with grounding, then simply check the ground impedance with your DMM.  Find resistance of less than half ohm from amp ground to battery neg.  You should purchase a digital multimeter if you don't have one...a real necessity when you are doing your own install.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
"...understood, however the rear speakers and subs arent going through this amp, the rear speakers aren't amped yet, and the subs are tapped to the rears, however they cut out with the fronts...is this somehow also related to inefficiency of the high level on the speaker amp as well? thank you for your time btw...".............................pm message

Huh?  Is this message indicating that this person has connected subwoofers in parallel with his stock rear speakers?  If so, this will shut down the OEM head unit due to low impedence.  Once the head amps are shut down, then of course there is no signal going to his amp for the front speakers and they cut off too.

Step one is to get professional help.  Take the car to a local shop and pay them to straighten out your install before you hurt yourself.

Support the12volt.com
taehwan_jkim 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  
loc DID solve the problem, everything works perfect now, thanks a lot stevdart, dyohn no i didnt parallel the rears...dont even know what YOURE talking about, but it wasnt relevant anyway...BTW i wasnt hurt while splicing in the loc...thanks for your concern though / W-A-C-K .
kawon77 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, do you know what the color code is for the scion tc.  I am going to hook the factory speaker up to a 4 channel amp so they will be louder.  Anyone know what the color code is for the radio's power, remote, and speakers are?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic