icon

Need help making a box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
I want to build a new box for my subwoofer because I am not happy with the one I built. Unfortunately, I don't live in a house with a backyard or a basement, and can't cut wood etc in my away-from-ground-floor apartment. Does anyone have any tips or advise on where I can go to cut wood, drill holes etc? If anyone knows any carpenter or a garage that does provide such help, that would be great. And yes, I don't mind paying a price for the service. Main point is I want the specs to be exactly like my design.
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

Almost every Lowe's , Home Depot, local lumber yard will cut wood for you to your exact sizes just sit down and configure every single piece and size you will need if you catch them (Home Depot) in the middle of the day it is like $0.25 a cut but if you go in later in the evening when they are not as busy most of the younger guys will cut it for free.  I usually go to Home Depot because they carry 3/4 inch thick MDF for $22 a sheet just remember to pre drill all of your holes or you will split the edges.. 

P.S. if you have to, assemble it right in the parking lot (if you own or can borrow a cordless drill.) 

Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. NOw there is just one more thing I need and that is: how do I cut the round hole for the speaker. I think they won't do it at Home Depot. I have all the tools I need but my round cutter (Rotozip tool) is not cordless. Maybe I can use my power inverter. I think I will do it at the parking lot tomorrow then. I was worried about working outside. Last Saturday, I was putting fog-lamps in my vehicle and since the power wires were black and red and I was putting an inline fuseholder, two times a car(different cars) stopped about 20 feet near me and were looking at me as if I was building a bomb. The second time, I could hear the guy calling someone on radio and he waited there for about 20 minutes and then left. This is right in the middle of a residential block and cars never stop right in the middle unless to go to a house nearby. That is why I was worried to do any more car work outside.
Thanks again.
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

Every time I have ever worked in a parking lot or street someone stopped or looked at me funny but the love of the cars keeps me focused and unembarassed you have to think of all the other times in the parking lot with the crowds standing dismal looking at your work or the sound coming from your ride..  ANd your rotozip will work in a power inverter but take it real slow with your cuts and have alot of extra fuses on hand for your power inverter and your cig plug fuse panel.   By no means do I suggest it but unfortanetly I have been down that road before....  If you live in an apartment they usually have outside plugs just go get  a long extension cord I have one that too. 

"Remember its for the love of your system and keep a cuttin"

Keep me posted!!!!!

Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

LOL a bomb?  Something tells me that's what they were probably wondering.  I'm with you on the whole apt w/ no working area cept for the lot.  Oh well.  Some local install shops build enclosures sometimes.  Check to see some of their past work and if you like it tell them what you want.  That is if you don't mind the box being built for you.  And that will probably be a chunk of money also.  But just another option.

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
only problem ive encountered with home depot or lowes cutting your wood is the only guarentee it to like a 1/4 of an inch or something i believe
Quad L Handyman services
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
I've noticed that too. last time I had them(home depot) cut something for building a machine-table, the piece was not a perfect rectangle but almost half an inch off! I will try my luck. If not then perhaps at around 11am tomorrow, when nobody is sleeping and hopefully people are out enjoying the cold weather, I will try to cut it all in my brothers' apartment since he just suggested me to do it there. I will have a lot of dust to vacuum though. Plus the air/pollution from the burning of the MDF also worries me. Maybe I will do it in my own apartment since I can leave the windows open and get out until the MDF vapor gets out of the room.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
I know you're a real perfectionist, markcars...why not contract it out to a local cabinet maker?  Give him the dimensions you need and he can zip it out for you, and it will meet your expectations.  I'm in southeast PA and there are cabinet maker shops all over the place.  If I didn't get so much enjoyment out of messing things up twice before I get them right...I would have my enclosures built by one of those guys.  Round holes...(dreams)...
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
hey mark where are you located if anywhere near missouri or KS I can reccomend a few places to go
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Stevdard, you're absolutely right. I think I will now go to find a cabinet maker. I know what dimentions I want. Actually I want two boxes, one ported and one non so that I can compare the two first hand and then keep one for good. (the box will be just like Focal-america sells them) perhaps I will end up buying directly from Focal-america but they only have dealers whom I should probably inquire with, however it might be a lot more expesive. Not sure yet. I want a "perfect match" box for my Focal 27WX sub. I am located in new york city, and don't know where to find a good trustworthy cabinet maker. The yellow pages might be a start. Thanks again.
Jeffchilcott, thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately I live very far from missouri or KS. thanks though.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic