icon

Custom Fiberglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
Has anyone purchased those How to custom fiberglass DVD's.  Are they worth it and do they really help teach you. I am really into installing video and one of them says it teaches dashboard and bezel fabrication, heating and A/C reloaction so that you can french monitors into the dash and I really want to learn this but unsure if it is a waste of money..
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
fatgotti 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

Help me Please!!!!!!!

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
You might want to readdress this question in the fiberglass & interior forum
Do it right the first time
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
fiberglass is a try and learn process, I think it has to be hands on to learn it no video is going to show you exactly what you will need for each aplication
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
take about $50 or $60 to Home Depot or Lowes , which ever and you can buy a small complete fiberglass kit. Think of making somthing small just to practice on like a speaker door pod or a center console or trim bezels. The kit isnt always what your going to use in full time fiberglass construction but it will give you a good idea of how it works. Just an idea for ya maybe in addition to the video to give you hands on experience.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

since its posted here i'll answer some questions you probably have.

First of all you need to get your hands in this stuff to really learn it, do not be afraid of the glass its really easy once you get some time in it, the basics are kindergarten the hard part comes in making everything look perfect and keeping air out of the mix.

Get you some cheap fiberglass such as a kit from home depot or lowes, find something in your house, maybe its a book, maybe its a cd case, maybe a peice you can get out of your car to practice with, since your basically going to be creating a mold when you build a sub box, practice taping and masking off an area, use lots and lots of tape and foil as anything but foil will not stop the resin from seeping thru, you can use a paper backing then layer the foil over it and tape it to keep it intact till the resin dries but you have to be careful if your doing anything inside your car the resin will run/drip very easily and will get anywhere you DONT want it to be and you cannot get it out short of cutting the carpet or useing acetone that may get it out if it hasnt dried and will destroy whatever you put it on.

fiberglass resin is a 2 part compound, you will have your resin then you will have your hardener do not mix these until you are 100% ready to put it on your work, precut your fiberglass mat to the shape you want to lay it as, do not be afraid to rip several small peices of glass mat and overlap them it wont hurt anything sometimes it can be stronger as long as your layers are even, with the foil backing you will see how thick your layers are each time you add a peice, mix up small amounts of resin at a time you dont need the whole bottle the first time out the goal is to mix enough for one layer which will depend on how big your peice is going to be, let the layers dry completely between coats, learn to read the glass as your going you will see little signs that your resin is about to turn, which is the point where it becomes a gel instead of a liquid it will get thicker become harder to stir and start getting warm in your cup, follow all directions exactly, usually you will have between 5-10 mins to work with your resin if you use a hot resin in winter your times should stay that way if you use a cold resin in winter it could take hours or it may not ever set, outside temp is very very important to working with glass, unless you do it in a shop and can control your temps try to do this on warm days or in summer months, also follow all directions to a t if it says mix 1 oz resin to .5 oz hardner then it needs exactly this amount or you will have problems, again it may not set if you mix it cold or if you put to much hardner it will take off and have a huge reaction causing smoke and enough heat to melt just about anything, i've seen this happen once, the resin ate the bottom out of a paint mixing cup. good luck with your projects.

J~

fatgotti 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you guys for the help I am ready to get started..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic