icon

How to tell if you have a bypass module

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kawon77 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

I recently purchased a 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition.  Of course, I was spooked the first time I locked the truck and about 5 seconds later it cranked up again.  I discovered it has a RKE system on it.  I took it to a car audio shop and they said it's a cheap off brand.  The problem is I am no longer able to make the truck go into programming  mode so I can't program my RKE remotes (the truck didn't come with any, so I bought some from ford).  I wanted to tell if the RKE someone has installed on the truck has a by pass installed which is preventing my factory module from entering programming mode.  Anyone have any tips of how I can tell this? 

Thanks

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
im not sure what you mean by "bypass" for an aftermarket keyless and a ford keyless module. if it has an aftermarket system, chances are it never had a factory system so you cant program ford remote to it, theres nothing to program them to.
the next easiest/cheapest thing to do is to go buy and audiovox (or similar) keyless system and unstall that (properly). chances are youll only need to use 9 or so wires for it. you can unplug whatever brain is already in there and try to use the wires in its harness. if it goes by the most common wiring it will have black, red, yellow, white, and 5wi lock/unlock. ask whatever audio shop you visited, if they could install one for you. if you buy it from them (probably $100 or so), expect $15 to $30 for the 5wi labor, unless they are nice save you the money because the wires are already found.
MECP certified installer
Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
An Eddie Bauer Expy should have the Ford keyless on it. How were you taught to program the remotes?
Tacomacrew
kawon77 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not the most familiar with alarm installs, but I've read somewhere that if your car has a factory remote keyless entry/alarm system, if they put on an aftermarket remote start or alarm system, they will bypass the factory alarm/rke system.  I'm not sure?  Is this done with wiring or is there an actual module to do this?

For my model Expedition, I'm suppossed to turn the ignition from off to on 8 times and on the 8th time, it should automatically lock and then unlock the doors to signify it's in programming mode.  Even at the dealership, when they do this procedure it never enters programming mode.  They think it's either bypassed or the rke brain is messed up from the remote start which was put on. 

Scott35 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
You have to do the 8 times in less than 10 secs, ending on run.
Tacomacrew
kawon77 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
I did.  The ford dealership did also.  It just refuses to go into programming mode.  I thought about buying another Ford RKE module to see if that gets it to working.
kawon77 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry.  I just read what I originally wrote (sorry, long day at work).  It doesn't have an aftermarket RKE system, it has an aftermarket remote start system on it. So when I hit the lock button twice, it cranks back up about 5 - 8 seconds later.  That's actually the module which I unplugged, but even when I unplug it the factory system still will not go into programming mode so I wondered if they could have turned the original system off or damaged the RKE computer so I can't program my remotes.
Scott35 
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Go back to your module, the wires from it should go to your doorlock wires. Disconnect them there, and if the door lock wires have been cut put them back together. When it started on its own, you locked the door by the door lock switch, right? That provided the signal the r/s needed.
Tacomacrew
darkowy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

Unplug your aftermarket RKE brain and than try to program your factory remotes

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic