icon

Anybody Have a 6.5 Speaker They Like?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jweb 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am working on a 02 Astro that uses 2 pair of 6.5 speakers and was hoping someone could lend their expertise and offer some recommendations on what they like. I'm not against modifying the cutouts in case someone likes 6x9's or something else.  This is an LT and it has a pair of oval speakers in the pillars (smaller than 6x9) that I need to measure as they are not in any books I've seen yet.  Thanks for any recommendations.  Joe
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

Whatever you do don't modify to go to 6x9's.  There are plenty of good 6.5" drivers.  If I were looking at buying new 6.5" drivers right now I would check out the Koda components from Adire audio.  http://www.adireaudio.com/ 

They seem like the best sound quality value for the money out there.  Otherwise check out component sets for the front from mb quart, memphis, diamond, infinity, focal, and other high quality speaker makers.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Jweb 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
You didn't mention them but are Alpine SPS-170A  6.5's any good?  The ones you mentioned are overkill for my wife's van in my opinion.  Thanks,  Joe
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Chances are that you will need an oversize 6.5" speaker like the MB Quart DKE116. This is a stellar speaker that her ears just might really like. A good sounding speaker is not overkill by any means.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with these guys about their speaker choices 100%, but I think in your case you are looking for something much more inexpensive.
Check out Infinity's refernce series 6.5" coaxial. I am not a big Infinity fan, but it has always proved to be a good sounding speaker for a coaxial.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
the alpine 6.5 type r components rock, thats what we run in our sq vehicle we give 125 rms to each speaker
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
SoundFX411 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 99 astro that I did for my personal use. I did this van on a bet with some of my friends. They stated that the Boss line of amps and speakers were worthless and that I couldn't put together a system that rocked. I used the Boss ripper series amps and speakers ( except for subs which were KICKER ). The 6.5" speakers I used in the doors were the RIP6.5 and they can handle 150 watts. For the money they were the best speaker in that price range that I have heard. Just my thought.
The speakers in the rear pillars are 4x10"
Jweb 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Did the 4x10's bolt right in?  I can't find my measurements right now but I was thinking they were closer to 5x7's.  Any idea why these pillar speakers aren't mentioned in any of the install references, even Crutchfield. Mine is an LT and I was thinking that might be the reason.  Is yours an LT or LS?  Crutchfield told me there was no listing for it because no stock speaker would fit right in without customizing, so they left it out.  Pretty weird.   Thanks,  Joe
SoundFX411 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry. The size speaker is 4x6 not 4x10. I guess it was late and after a long day. The 4x6 bolted right in. I don't know why none of the tech notes don't show them.
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
i like the kove 6.5 compaxials
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp