icon

Adire Brahma?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hammondc 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I got (2) of the Adire Koda 8's in the hope that they would be enough for my tacoma. Wrong. THey are VERY VERY tight and would be an awesome midbass. I was prety disappointed in them. They just cannot go low enough without distorting, bottoming out etc. I was testing them to the new Joss Stone cd and the track 'you want me'. LIke I said, they were very punchy, but just cannot hold a solid bass line. Subsonic filter is off. Sooo..... with the same amp, what would be a good choice for a single 10? Hope to get what I wan out of (1) 10 because I dont have the rrom for 2 of them.. Was thinking

Adire Brahma 10, !0w6, anything along those lines. Suggestions? I would need it to be either 2 Ohm or dual 4ohm VC to keep the amp pushing. It will put out 250 RMS at 2 OHms. This is probably pretty conservative.

Let me know thanks. Also, the 8's are for sale as soon as I decide on a new sub.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
you could look into a single 10 eclipse aluminum we are hitting 144.7 using 2 with RMS power only...I would rate them right with the w6v2 if not better
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
I think you need a tad bit more than 250 watts for the bass you want.  You've got 4 channels of mids and highs going on in there too.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

I think 250 w is enough for a decently efficient subwoofer.  It might not rock a Brahma, but what are you looking for, SPL, or just a nice bottom end? 

Try the Koda 10" instead with that 250w and I think it will be plenty loud for most applications. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
hammondc wrote:

OK, I got (2) of the Adire Koda 8's in the hope that they would be enough for my tacoma. Wrong. THey are VERY VERY tight and would be an awesome midbass. I was prety disappointed in them. They just cannot go low enough without distorting, bottoming out etc. I was testing them to the new Joss Stone cd and the track 'you want me'. LIke I said, they were very punchy, but just cannot hold a solid bass line. Subsonic filter is off. 

What size enclosure were you using them in?  They are only 8's, so you can't expect them to perform as well as a 15.  But they do awesome for the money, and work great as a sub.  I've seen this first hand, including a swap out of the RE 8's.

hammondc wrote:
 Sooo..... with the same amp, what would be a good choice for a single 10? Hope to get what I wan out of (1) 10 because I dont have the rrom for 2 of them.. Was thinking

Adire Brahma 10, !0w6, anything along those lines. Suggestions? I would need it to be either 2 Ohm or dual 4ohm VC to keep the amp pushing. It will put out 250 RMS at 2 OHms. This is probably pretty conservative.

The Brahma 10 is designed primarily for people with very small space to deal with.  They work in very small enclosures (I run mine in .36 cubes sealed).  But to get decent output out of a small box, you will need a lot of power.  I'd recomend around twice what you have available.  Unfortunately this is going to be true with any sub you choose.  Hoffmans Iron law guarantee's it. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  

Steven, how loud will a Koda 10" in an appropriately sealed box fed 250w get?  I'm guessing fairly loud.  Just trying to make a point that while the Brahma is without a doubt one of the most elite sub setups on the market a "lesser" sub with fewer watts can get loud and sound good too.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

Steven, how loud will a Koda 10" in an appropriately sealed box fed 250w get?  I'm guessing fairly loud.  Just trying to make a point that while the Brahma is without a doubt one of the most elite sub setups on the market a "lesser" sub with fewer watts can get loud and sound good too.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it would be much louder than the dual Koda 8's.  It really depends on the enclosure size used.  I really don't think the problem is the drivers.  It sounds like he wants drag racing performance with Geo Metro milage (as we all do of course Adire Brahma? -- posted image.), and that is impossible to do.  He is going to have to compromise somewhere.  It sounds like enclosure size is the biggest issue, so a Brahma 10 would probably be the best choice IMO if he can get the mounting depth needed.  But he will need more power to get the output  he is looking for. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

hammondc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

ok. I don't want the folks to get the idea that I dont like the 8's. I Love 'em!!! I have been in this stuff for about 12 years and have had PPI, RF, A/D/S and many others. I competed locally on the SQ circuit from'98-'99. The 8's REALLY rock. They are the best 8's I have ever had and do outperform a lot of 10's I have had. I am NOT trying to get huge SPL. I never have. I like solid Tight bass. However, If I need to crank it, I would like to be able to. By crank it, I mean hear it with windows open at 70 down the highway. Not blow the doors off at a sound show. The 8's are super super tight and I am thrilled to death with them. However, I was hoping for a little more bottom end. I am not talking about 20-30hz either. I was impressed with the quality as was a local sound shop that I frequent (Steven, they may be interested in getting your line. I told them to go to the website for contact info). They sell, JL, A/D/S, PPI and some other stuff. A lot of high end stuff and they were stoked about the output from them. I took a chance on the speakers with my only influence being hearsay.  I had Dave Mathews in today and they sounded unbelievable.

In the end, I suppose I may just keep them for a while. Maybe step up to (1) Brahma 10. I was just kinda curious what kind of real world wattage I need to push it and would there be enough difference to justify the cost? Maybe I will just keep the super tight sound of the 8's in exchange for a little bottom end. Maybe they will open up a little after they have been run for a while. Either way I'm out only 150 bux so it's not a huge heartbreak.

BTW, I have both subs in a sealed box at a hair over .90ft^3

As always, thanx for everyone's input.

hammondc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Also, this is in an '04 Toyota Tacoma so space is DEFINITELY an issue. Hence my decision to go with the 8's.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
hammondc wrote:

ok. I don't want the folks to get the idea that I dont like the 8's. I Love 'em!!! I have been in this stuff for about 12 years and have had PPI, RF, A/D/S and many others. I competed locally on the SQ circuit from'98-'99. The 8's REALLY rock. They are the best 8's I have ever had and do outperform a lot of 10's I have had. I am NOT trying to get huge SPL. I never have. I like solid Tight bass. However, If I need to crank it, I would like to be able to. By crank it, I mean hear it with windows open at 70 down the highway. Not blow the doors off at a sound show. The 8's are super super tight and I am thrilled to death with them. However, I was hoping for a little more bottom end. I am not talking about 20-30hz either. I was impressed with the quality as was a local sound shop that I frequent (Steven, they may be interested in getting your line. I told them to go to the website for contact info). They sell, JL, A/D/S, PPI and some other stuff. A lot of high end stuff and they were stoked about the output from them. I took a chance on the speakers with my only influence being hearsay.  I had Dave Mathews in today and they sounded unbelievable.

In the end, I suppose I may just keep them for a while. Maybe step up to (1) Brahma 10. I was just kinda curious what kind of real world wattage I need to push it and would there be enough difference to justify the cost? Maybe I will just keep the super tight sound of the 8's in exchange for a little bottom end. Maybe they will open up a little after they have been run for a while. Either way I'm out only 150 bux so it's not a huge heartbreak.

BTW, I have both subs in a sealed box at a hair over .90ft^3

As always, thanx for everyone's input.

I'm really starting to think the Brahma 10 might be the best way to go.  You will still have that tight sound as both the Koda 8's and Brahma 10 use our XBL^2 motor.  The Brahma will definitely provide lower extention.  In fact when Tom Nousaine tested one for Mobile Entertainment, he got flat response down to 10 Hz in a .2 cubic foot enclosure in his vehicle. 

I used to run my Brahma 10 off of a Soundstream Reference 500 in my .36 cubic foot enclosure and was surprised at the output it had.  In fact jumping up to the Arc amp and over double the power didn't give me much of a gain in output.  So 250 watts in a larger enclosure (say .6 cubic feet) should give you some decent output and plenty of low end.  The only question is if you have room for the mounting depth.  They are quite deep at 6.875", and that's not including room for the pole vent.

BTW, I used to run a/d/s/ 312RS subs in my car, as well as the 3 series components up front (in fact the components are for sale).  Those were some nice speakers.  But I think you will be very impressed with the Brahma.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic