icon

Speaker info - Which ones

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stresspuppy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

I have been out of the car audio scene for some time and I do not know who is making good stuff and who is making crap these days.  I need some input on speakers, if you are willing to help.

I am in the process of upgrading the system in my 97 Toyota Landcruiser. It presents many "fun" opportunities in and of itself. Seeing that I would prefer to use the factory grilles, I am quite limited. If I decide to go with using the new speaker grilles, I have a little more variety to choose from. I will be putting in a sub, but I am hoping to put something in the space where the current "sub" is. This would limit me to an 8" sub in a custom sealed box. 

WIth this all said, I am trying to determine the best setup for the front doors (6 1/2") and the rear doors (4"). I would like to stick with the same manufacturer for front and rear to better "match" the sound (is this the right approach?). I am also considering coaxial speakers because I want to do the least amount of mods possible. I am up for separates in the front, but need a compelling reason, and need to figure out where to mount the tweeter.

Below are the things I have been looking at. Please give me your input, and any other options you might have. (Keep in mind that for the front, if I keep the factory grilles, mounting depth cannot be more than 2" max, and using the speaker grilles, I might be able to go to 2 1/2 if I squeeze things.)

Infinity Kappa 62.5i (front)

Infinity Kappa 42.5i (rear)

Alpine SPS-170A (front)

Alpine SPS-100A (rear)

Boston Accoustic FX6 (or NX67) (front)

Boston Accoustic FX4 (rear)

JL Audio TR650 CXi (front)

JL Audio TR400 Cxi (rear)

Kenwood Excelon KFC-XR601 (front)

Kenwood Excelon KFC-XR401 (rear)

Eclipse.....

MB Quart......

This have become a longer list than I thought. But the main purpose here it to figure out to make this all happen using the smaller 8" sub from JL Audio.

Any and all comments are GREATLY appreciated!

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

I would not replace the factory speakers in back (your passengers will be the only ones hearing those) and put the money you would have spent there into the best 6.5" component set you can afford.  You really need to listen to all those speakers to decide.  When I've demoed speakers I've found that Infinity and Boston make top notch products for the price.  I have not been impressed with JL speakers other than subs.  I have no experience with Alpine or Kenwood other than to say that Kenwood doesn't have the best reputation.  Eclipse and Quart make excellent speakers.  You should consider their offerings as well. 

If I had to buy some component speakers fresh right now at the top of my list would be the Adire Audio Koda Component set:  http://www.adireaudio.com/ and either of the 2 sets from Resonant Engineering http://www.respl.com/    (I just noticed their site was down.  You can look at their products here too:  http://www.bladeice.com/ )

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stresspuppy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

Good input.

I was thinking NOT going separates so I could minimize (or eliminate) any permanent mods I might have to make. I know that I give up a little that way, but that is why I was thinking about the Infinity Kappas that have a seperate crossover to help keep things where they are supposed to be.

Any thoughts in the coax world....

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
I hear you with that concern.  One of the reasons I picked the quart components is because you can mount the tweeter in the coax position.  Good thinking re: the quality crossover, that way they are closer to component quality with the installation ease of coax.  Check out the Memphis MClass Series for another coax convertible component. 
stresspuppy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

That's right. Add more to confuse things!!!!

I do like the way the specs and such on the Memphis speakers look. But I don't know much about them.  I'll do some reading and research on the MB Quarts and Memphis.

Boy, just when I thought I was starting to figure this out!

kfr01 
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Memphis is known for quality stuff.  I'd consider taking a listen to them if you have a dealer in your area.  I've a/b tested the memphis against similarly priced offerings from JL and Quart.  I liked the quarts slightly more but felt that Memphis had much better sound quality than the JL series.
stresspuppy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks.  I found a place locally that is on the Memphis dealer list. Heading there tomorrow at lunch hoping it wasn't a typo........

Wish I could find a place that had both the JL, MB Quart and Memphis....... so I could a/b/c....... Speaker info - Which ones -- posted image.

What is the history and such of Memphis?  They are unknown to me. 

I appreciate all your input. It has helped. Even if I am a bit more confused than before!!!

stresspuppy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

Went and listened to the Memphis, and the dealer had Diamond as well. Good stuff.  Then I went and listened to the MB Quarts. OH NO.  I'm screwed. So much for the easy way. The PCE216 components were absolutely amazing!!!  I think I will have to figure out how to save up for them and then MAKE them fit in the Landcruiser.

Oh, my wife is gonna kill me............

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
Boys and toys.  We've gotta have them.  Yeah JL is more on amps and subs then component/coaxial speakers.  MB Quart and Memphis are good.  Polk MOMO's are also some nice speakers too.  I've compared them agianst some JL and basic MB Quarts,  I'd take the MOMO's over any of the other two.  But that's just my opinion.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
BTW Infinity makes some nice suff for the price that they offer it at.  I've got infinity speakers and a 10" sub and i love it.  Coudn't be happier (concidering the money I spent of course).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic