icon

'01 explorer sport, xbox installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Milwbuck 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
Can someone please tell me the best way to install an xbox in my '01 explorer sport.  Although I'm extremely interested and would like to learn more on mobile installation, the most I have ever done is installed a 6-disc cd player, a few in-dash cd players, and some speakers- therefore don't know anything about power sourcing foreign electronics.  What would be the best way to get power to the xbox where all wires are concealled after I decide where and how I mount it.  I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanx
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Just get access to a cig. lighter. You need a beefy (400W or higher), power inverter. It will take the 12DVC up to 120VAC, and give you a AC Plug to plug your XBOX for power.
Then just safely mount it where you can access the tray and controller ports.
Don't know about installation options, would have to see it. Never worked on a 2 door.
DXAV
Milwbuck 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thanx for the help.  Can I splice the wires so power still goes to the cig lighter and to the inverter?  And is it safe to mount a inverter under a console or somewhere where I wouldnt have immediate access to it so I can keep it concealed? Oh sorry, one more question- Can anyone tell me the best place to buy a inverter, like a web-site or something where it might be cheaper than your average store? Thanx again for your help, I do appreciate it.

-Erik

dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
You can splice the wires and still have access to the cig lighter. You can hide the inverter, just make sure it has adequate airflow for cooling.
Don't know the best site -- I get mine from my distributor. Stay away from Radio Shack, though. Try Crutchfield.
DXAV
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

Also make sure if you put the inverter in the dash that your cig power is acc. power meaning it only gets power when the key is on acc. or the car is started. if it is constant power it will never shut off and run down your battery. 

Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
Milwbuck 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

Thanx again for the help. But, now I have another question.  I checked out my cig lighter and it is not acc, so what are my options?  If it means I have to keep the inverter slightly exposed so that I can manually turn it on and off, I am willing to do so, but would prefer not to.  Any other simple solutions?

-Erik

fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

Their is two quick and easy ways to solve this.

1) add a toggle switch on your dash witch is simply just adding it to the 12volt wire from your cig plug before it gets to your inverter.Mount it into your dash in a unused switch panel that way it looks stock and you can hide the inverter in the dash.

2)you can tap into your main acc. wire under your dash at the ignition switch harness for a 2001 Explorer is a black and light green colored wire which will supply all the power you need for the inverter and it will only work in start and acc. mode..

Let me know how it is going!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
Milwbuck 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Thanx yet again! I'm glad I'm finally starting to learn a little more about mobile installation, it's been something I've wanted to do for years.  Between those two options, I'm not sure yet which I will do.  The toggle switch seems like a cool idea, but I'm worried I would forget to switch it off at some point- getting a switch that lights up or has a safety cover may prevent that.  Wiring the inverter directly to the acc. line seems like the easier of the two options and most convenient.  I got a few days to think about it because I ordered an inverter online and it will take that long before it gets here.  My main issue now is still trying to figure out where I'm going to fit that big fat ole xbox.  It really doesnt help either that I have an Explorer sport so it really seems to limit my options.  Every idea I come up with seems to get shot down by the massive size of the xbox.  It's too big to fit under the console, too big to go under the seats, too big for here, too big for there.  I could always put it in back, but I'd like to have access to it up front for road trips.  If anyone has any ideas let me know, untill then I'll keep thinking about it. Thanx

-Erik

mrselfdestruckt 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged  
Hey dude, check out this site, it might help you. Ignore the chicks in the beginning and scroll down. He did everything you (and me) want to do. He even added a remote doorbell to it. The only thing is you would have to mod the xbox. He added an extra hdd and the mod allows you to save the games to the hdd so you wouldn't have to stick disks and stuff inside of it. Sounds pretty sweet to me.
The link--
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/393173
Heres a link to mod you xbox--
www.xbox-scene.com
Hope this helps
Milwbuck 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
That does seem pretty cool, but also as confusing as f*.  I dont have a whole lot of money to throw around either and modding xbox's can get pricey.  I'll definately have to look into that doorbell idea though (even though his explination on how to do it confused me), unless I can come up with a way to take the xbox apart and customize it to fit behind the dash or something.  Thanx for the help.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic