the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

installing amp with stock HU

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

1 (4ohm) sub=2ohm load...................how would you go about wiring the subs themselves? .

I could not understand what you just said...  What do you have, one sub or more than one?  Wire according to the diagram, coil A gets wired to coil B first.  Speaker wire is fine, whatever you're using to connect the sub(s) to the amp  After the coils are wired together in parallel as shown in the bottom diagram, then you connect a wire to one of the coil's positive and send it to the amp.  The other wire connects to the other coil's negative, then to the amp negative.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Correct, wire like diagram A if you have two 4 ohm dvc subs.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
peterw244 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

no i mean that if I wire it like diagram B, in two seperate channels.....then as i am doing the coils (dual voice coils), like positive to positive (on the sub)n then to positive on the terminal of the box using the speaker wire, I use the positive and negative wires of the speaker wire when connecting the coils rite?  not just negative or just positive part of the speaker wire

I may be a little confusing, sorry about that

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

peterw244 wrote:
 I use the positive and negative wires of the speaker wire when connecting the coils rite?  not just negative or just positive part of the speaker wire

I see what you're getting at.  Wires are not positive or negative.  They are just wires.  You would rip a speaker wire length along where the two wires are connected and use each one to connect coil terminals.  Or you can leave them stuck together, it doesn't matter.  A regular double speaker wire is just two separate wires with the insulation stuck together and marked for ease of installation.  (Some speaker wire isn't marked at all and you have to check the ends with a meter to make sure...)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

hurtado_roberto wrote:
Where is the best or usuall place to install a line output converter?  Is it a good Idea to stuff it behind the HU?

generally behind the headunit is fine...but in cases with bose amplifiers if you are using a normal LOC after the factory amp is where the signal needs to come from

hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Connect all positives together and all negatives together.  I'm not sure if an 18ga wire will sufice.  What does everyone else recommen for wire size if it's a short run?
Poly Dollies
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
I typically run 16 or 12    depends on how much power they are running
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
peterw244 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

yo guys, to run the remote wire..do i tap into the yellow ignition wire behind the HU and it'll work from there

also..the line output converter has 4 inputs positive n negative for both right and left, coming out of the amplifier I saw I think 6 wires, im not sure which ones are what, wat should I do...or can you connect them to the 6x9s? (the LOC i mean)

stevdart 
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, the yellow for switched.  But I would check it with a meter first.  Your LOC is a two channel, correct?  Two of the wires have a stripe and connect to the negative leads, the other two are the positive.  You can connect to either the front or rear OEM speaker wires, although I prefer the front connection in most cases.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic