the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

mb quart or diamond?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

Like you said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices.  75w should be great.  I have 50 going to the woofer, 50 going to the tweeter, neither seem to be starving for more. 

Which brings up another point about the quarts that the salesperson might not tell you.  The passive crossover is setup so you can bi-amp your set.  So, if you ever decide to get a dedicated class d sub amp or something you can feed all channels of your 4-channel amplifier to the quart component set.  This way, you can fine tune the time alignment, set levels, and eq separately on the tweeter and woofer.  I've enjoyed being able to this.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

MB Quart with no doubt. The second I saw your vehicle was a convertable it screamed at me, then punched me in the head and said you idiot, I am a convertable and have a large amount of wind noise and nothing to keep the sound in. Top end is the first thing that you lose in the audio spectrum, even quicker in a convertable where this sound is not contained. The pure titanium tweeter at least is going to be able to provide some degree of reasonable output under these conditions. 75 w rms of power is lots but more might be better

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
clemsondave 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden:

that is kinda why I chose components, I can direct the tweeters to ear level.

With top down, at 100+, I know I will lose everything (including the sub in the trunk).  But 90%of the time I have top up.  Car is still new, so not much sound loss (more than a sedan, but not too bad).

Do you think a x4 amp is the way to go? 1 pair of 216's + 1 JL 12w3 d2

d

clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

btw, that was a great way of telling me I am an idiot worrying about sound quality in a convertible.  I like it!

I figure, start with high quality, lose a bit, still not too bad...

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Good way to figure, I would use a good 4 channel amp myself in this application. These vehicles sound quite nice with components like these, I am presently working on a set of tweeter mounts for a PCE216 as I type. Bondo is my friend....looks outside, so is the rain mb quart or diamond? - Page 2 -- posted image.. I hate rain.
clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Tweeter mounts for a Camaro???

Rain here too.

Just listened to the MB's.  Both sound great.  Probably go with the MB's.

forbidden 
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Tweeter mounts for a Expedition. Most people have never seen rain until they have lived in the Pacific Northwest.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking at snow right now, I hate snow but have come to deal with it since I dont plan on moving any time soon. As for your speakers I totally agree about doing quart esspecially in a convertible. Forbidden hit this right on the head about loosing sound. Make sure what ever 4 channel you are using is 2 ohm mono stable because that sub is Dual 4 ohm, right?. You could also look at a 5 channel and use 1 channel per driver and one channel per tweeter and the mono channel for the subwoofer.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Sighs - looks outside at rain some more - I'm sick of waiting for it to snow. Just snow and let me get to work already. ^^^^ This is some good advice on the amp choice, some of the 5 channels can be bridged to 3 channel mode, doubling up on the front end and in some cases the sub channel is 2 ohm mono stable as well. Consider this great recommendation.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic