icon

Halfway through project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  

Well I started the box for my sister's Jeep Wrangler saturday morning. Holds 2 8" subs, which will probably get changed out later as these are some cheap pioneer subs that hit decent though :P

Initially I had gotten a huge headache from this project. The trunk in the Wrangler is very rectangular, so the back of the box was constructed using 3/4" MDF board.  The reason I got such a headache was I was trying to rush.

I was having trouble cuting straight pieces of wood and considering I lack tools this was really annoying me. I was just starting off so I had to spend a lot of money to get started. I was only using a jig for cutting the MDF and I wish I had a table saw.

Anyways, I finally got the MDF box done today and everything tweaked so it was somewhat symetrical, seal'd the inside of the box with some dynamat(sp?) and drilled a hole for the terminal to fit in and seal'd that with some dynamat.

Now I mounted the rings that were a pain to cut out considering I don't have a router and I think it is going to be my next investment. I think I mounted the bottom of the rings too low and was hard to pull the fleece over them to make it flush. I covered it in resin and I mixed the first batch with a little too much hardener and didn't get to fix all the pieces of mat the way I wanted and it was all over the place. I had a lot of bubbles. Then I did the second side which looks a lot better.

First time doing fiberglass was kind of difficult, I got he hang of it and on the second run I was doing a lot better. The second batch I made I mixed WAY to much hardener in and didn't work fast enough and it gel'd on me, then the third one was mixed a lot better and the 4th and 5th were mixed perfect.

I am letting it cure over night, I was wondering I bought some mating from lowe's not sure on the weight, I have used almost all of it and I am only on layer 2?

I also think that I am wasting a lot of resin :( Another question is, does anyone know how to remove fiberglass off the skin? I was wearing gloves, but didn't have long sleeve shirt on and now I can feel some fiber on my skin :(

Well I hope someone reads this and gives me some pointers, first projects and I think I'll give it a C for a first attempt. I'll try and get some pictures up of it bondo'd.

93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Well if the subs arent very powerfull just make sure the box is able to hold you standing on it. That will be plenty of fiberglass. Fibers in your skin? Meaning the little sliver things? or do you have resin on your arm?
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  
well seems like you're getting the hang of things, kinda... you will need to get more 'glass mat though.. if you can go to a boat repair place or a marina you can buy the mat cheaper.. and you just gotta practice to see how much hardener to use. and the air temp affects that too. if its just fibers on your skin, use cold water to rinse it off. if it is resin, use paint thinner.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  

Alright guys I have a question regarding this, I just started my first enclosure the other day I got it fleeced and resined which turned out great. But I didnt sand or anything just went straight into putting mat on last night and I got a lot of bubbles that I couldnt get rid of and so my question is should I sand in between each layer of mat or will their not be as many bubbles on the next layer since I have a smoother surface with my first layer of mat?    What should I do?

Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

If you pulled fleece over then it should be smooth, doesn't matter what is under it, unless on staple places that have dips.

I have a lot of bubbles from lack of experience lol, I don't know how to get them out, so I just went ahead and kept going, one side of the box is going to be really strong where as the other will be weaker.

But I am only making it for 2 weak 8's, so I shouldn't be that worries. Anyways, I wouldn't say sand inbetween. Just try and get off some of the extra mat that is sticking up.

Next time I am going to go to west marina in Dallas. I just wanted to get my project started so I didn't waste time going to it. Now I will, 16 dollars a gallon and I can get some mat. I will probably go buy 2 gallons and a lot of mat so I don't have to go back for a while.

Oh well. I'll try and get some pics up. I got the fibers on my skin.

realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  

With the fibers on your skin if you put baby powder on your arms before you start you wont have that problem. 

My next question I'm going today to get a fiberglass roller so hopefully I can get the bubbles out, if I dont have any on the next layers will the box be strong enough?   Its for 2 rockford 12's

93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Be careful buying in bulk, hardner has expiration dates. Make sure you will use it within a couple of months of buying it.
offroadbum 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
If your haveing trouble cutting straight line with the jig saw.Draw your line set the saw up to where it`s going to cut,set a 2x4 or some other type straight edge to run the saw down.Clap the straight edge down of course.It don`t get much easier.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

My next question I'm going today to get a fiberglass roller so hopefully I can get the bubbles out, if I dont have any on the next layers will the box be strong enough?   Its for 2 rockford 12's

Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

Offroad, yeah that's what I was doing and finally got going towards the end of the day.

The next box I make will be sweet, reality check a roller only gets bubbles out when the glue is still wet, and I think that the box will be fine. If you build it up enough with less and less bubbles each time it should beable to withstand the 12's.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic