icon

Fiberglass Panel Fasteners

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cardog 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
I am creating 4 panels in my trunk that will be made of fiberglass. Question is, what are people using  to fasten these panels to the trunk (or each other) in a blind spot so you dont see any screws, nuts, etc .
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
If the panels are light, you can use heavy duty grill guides. I use them, they work great, and are cheap. You will need a bunch of them though, depending on the size of the panel. Check www.partsexpress.com.
If you need something more heavy duty, and have access to the back of a panel, you can try T-Nuts, but they don't work in all applications.
Good Luck,
DXAV
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
door clips work....   the ones that look like a christmas tree kinda
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
I was also gonna suggest T-nuts, but like dxav said, sometimes they're not easy to use in all applications...
Im a fiberglass whore!!
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
door clips, they're eazy to install/build into the panel and all u have to do is punch a little hole for them to pop into. Just make sure the panel is ridged so if u have to pull it out it doesn't split.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Cardog 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
That was enough to give some ideas. Aside form fasteners, are there any techniques that anyone uses for mounting fiberglass panels as well??? Again thanks for your help.
dxav 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
In a trunk install, first I tend to build a thin (1/2") frame supported by (attached to) the inside trunk metal. Just some basic 'ribs' in easily accessible locations, that will give you a frame. They can be built quickly, and don't have to look great; they will be hidden.
Then using T-Nuts or Speaker fasteners you can line up certain sections with the fiberglass panels. Then just attach them.
T-Nuts you can secure to the glass and MDF anytime. You can't really use speaker clips on panels that aren't glassed yet. An easy way I do it is make the frame for a panel, and use MDF blocks near the ares of the panel that I will attach it to the trunk frame. With the MDF pieces glassed, you can then drill out holes for the Speaker clips/fasteners, and hot glue them in.
Hopefully my description is not to hard to understand. I wish I had some pictures, it is much easier to visually see what I am descibing.
I hope I helped, Cardog.
DXAV
Cardog 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks DVAX, I was able to picture your description and I now know what I need to do.
dxav 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
You know, www.hzemall.com has some good framing pictures posted. Check out the site, take some time there, you will get some good ideas.
DXAV

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic