icon

ported boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Well for starters i have a mtx thunder 9500 12" and its loud as hell right now but i want it to be louder like with a ported box or something liek that do you guys have any idea on what is a good tuning frequency so i can listen to it daily and get loud as hell when i want to, and if you have any other ideas on how to make it louder i would love to hear em thanks

Chad

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/TechData_T9512-04.pdf

Under the vented enclosure section, you see that MTX recommends sealed for best sound quality, but vented is an option for louder sound, though you may lose some of the quality.  Divide the Fs by the Qes, you get 49.  Refer to DYohn's post here about EBP, and you see that this sub fits squarely into the catagory of sealed..

Anyway, accomodating to every taste, they recommend a net internal volume of 2 ft^3, and a port 2" x 14".  I would suggest considering a larger diameter port of 3" and using a longer tube, bending it in the box to fit.  That would give you a bigger outlet for air.  It looks like they chose 2" to fit the dimensions of the model box they show.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Bandpass squeezes a few more db out of a sub but it sevearly limits sq and what frequencies are "loud".  Also for a louder sub a bigger amp is always good but I'm sure you already know that.  Check you're spec sheet for the MTX and find out what they recomend tuning the port to.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
most high spl subs that are coming out I have been able to tune most boxes between 36-38 hz. giving ample SQ by limiting the mach, and also massive SPL. Now as far as a Pure SPL box like the (9500's forefather the RFL if you want a strict SPL box, which Im pretty sure you dont but will go forward anyways) You would have to tune much higher from 48-55hz...deffintally not a street beat box, I almost never go over 38 hz for street use
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
I usually recomend porting around 30-35 hz, but thats just what I think sounds best. For the record the RFL isnt really a fore father but more of a distant lost relatives dog. It was a pure spl sub that couldnt be used for music and really doesnt share very much technology with the 9500, its just a loud SPL beast that they still use in "SPL only" vehicles
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Audiobahn1500 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

i was thinking someplace around the mid 30's for tuning but on the other hand i have been doing some serious thinking about doing spl with 4 of the 9500's so i really dont know what i am wanting to do i would really like to do the 4 of them though thanks

Chad

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
Ya, I am using 4 MTX superwoofers for SPL comps this summer and I run a ported wall but its my daily driver so I designed it so I can change the ports out in about 5 minutes to change my tunning frequency from 28 hz (daily Driver) to 56 hz (SPL Comp). I figured it was the best thing for me to do.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Audiobahn1500 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

well Ravendarat that sounds almost exactly how i was planning on doing mine not so sure on the two different port thing but the wall is the way go for sure. what kinda amps are you going to be using on them and what subs are they??

Chad

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic