icon

no power to head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
 a weird thing happened yesterday. when i cranked my car, the head unit never came on. as i was driving along, i turned it off and on several times, but it never lit up (came on) . then later that evening i cranked the car again and it came on and played just like it allways has. and it has been coming on every time since. i thought a fuse had blown the time when it did not come on, but it is working fine now. i've never seen anything like this in my 45 years. has anyone got any ideas?
'85 Toy
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Probably ignition switch is getting dirty contacts.  Sometimes they quit working altogether because of dirty or worn contacts, and sometimes you see something not working momentarily, like what you experienced.  Normally, though, turning it off and on several times will eventually make contact.  But it didn't in your case.  Anyway, that is what I would suspect, as that is where the electrical contacts are made.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
djv1 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe one of your wire connections is loose, going into the fuse box or on the wire harness for the deck.
JVC deck
6.5in MB Quarts
Rockford 3001M amp
2 12in Kicker Comps
Sirus Sattilte Radio
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 5:32 AM / IP Logged  
that makes sense. is there any way to spray something into the ignition switch without taking it apart to clean it? i have been having to turn the key pretty hard first thing in the morning lately to get it to move.
'85 Toy
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
i would think a mulit purpose lube would work just dont put any KY in there
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Could it be possible that one of your power wires coming into the head unit was loose? If thats the case, this might happen again later. You might want to make sure the power is coming into the HU before more major steps. Just another idea.
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
You can put graphite in there, that is why I put in my key holes to get my keys to go in earier and turn better.
Duke Duke
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
That happned to me two or three time in my other car.  One time i took all the fuses out and put them back in, then it came on.  The other time I unplugged the HU, plugged it back in, then it came on. However,  ts very possible that boththose things were coincedences, and had nothing to do with teh HU coming back on.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the advice. i have been looking, so far i still don't know what happened. i didn't see anything loose though.
'85 Toy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic