icon

98 Grand Prix - Steering Wheel Controls

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gnetic86 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hi - I'm having issues with my 98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I had a performance shop thats' pretty far away rebuild the trans in my car, and due to probs had to bring the car back 3 times to get the trans right, and in doing so had to mess with the steering column (because when they lower the trans, the steering disconnects at the column). Anyways, now when I got it back, the airbag lights are staying on, and my steering wheel radio controls no longer work. Seems to me like a bad ground or connection. All plugs under the dash look connected and intact. Everything else on the wheel (turn sigs, horn, etc.) all work. They are researching what was done and hopefully get a fix, but I figured if I can fix it in the mean time why not.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff G (Philadelphia, PA)

bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
just a shot in the dark here but try taking your radio out and checking the plug that goes to your steering wheel remote controls...i don't know why they would take your radio out but i guess they might have taken that whole center console apart to do some troubleshooting on the tranny...
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like something is unplugged

Have them check the Steering column Harness
There is a small type box about 1 x 4 that is along the right side of columnit is the control box for your steering wheel Radio controls

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
dfiddy 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Well I am by no means an audiophile compared to some of the others on here but I see that no one has posted back yet so I will throw out some ideas your way, but I will need some info first. Do you still have the factory radio in your GP or is it an aftermarket radio with the steering wheel intergration module...If it is an aftermarket radio with the steering wheel module and they (garage monkeys) were mucking with the steering wheel harness they could have disconnected a wire that gets used for the module. I think that it is either found at the steering column or behind the deck or both i can not really remember. Either way either the wire to the module was cut because they maybe didnt really know what it was for and did not want to connect it or the actual wire itself in the harness could have been cut...just some thoughtsm you can throw them back at me if you dont like them...take care and happy hunting =) wow as I was writing this there were like 2 posts on this topic, so please ignore the first comment then...thanks =)
gnetic86 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies so far...

The radio in the car is completely factory - I didn't see any loose plugs but will look for that box and check the plugs going to it tonight. What I did notice were 2 plugs coming from the steering wheel area - a small thin plug I thought was the radio controls and a yellow one I guess for the air bag, I can't see where they go to in the console (near or under the radio) but I may have to pull that apart next and check behind there. Maybe I can peek in there with a mirror too.

Jeff

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
If they had the column apart, they may have disconnected the connectors on the clockspring directly behind the steering wheel itself...... You did say that you have an airbag CEL on as well. Both the airbag wiring and the steering wheel controls feed through this device.
Just a thought
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
gnetic86 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for the very late follow up - still having the same issue. I didn't see the box thats supposedly the interface down below, but now I"m looking into the plug behind the wheel. I have the bottom cover off the column to see if anything's arwy there, but when I took the cover off I didn't have a flashlight handy at work. Now I will. I was trying to think of what they could have done, and I'm thinking that perhaps they took down the column and may have yanked the cords, possibly breaking or disconnecting something in the connection between the column and the wheel. They should be fixing this @#$@ but I dont want them touching my car again.

Jeff

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic