the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

toggle switch question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ty 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  

I am planning on wiring a toggle switch to turn on/off my fuel pump, I bought a switch rated at 20 amps, however it is 125 volt AC, and 10 amps at 277 volt AC, is this ok to use for my configuration?  Should I only use DC toggle switches in a car since the battery is 12v DC?  Also I heard that the power is always in the top position, and the load is in the middle, so the top would be the wire that comes from my ecu right, and the load would be the other end of the wire that goes to fuel pump right?  And what type of wire should I use for this setup, I was told by some to use speaker wire, and some said not to, what should I use? 

any help on this topic would be appreciated

Mja1962 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  

The switch you have is more than adequate for switching the fuel pump.  I've never heard of any standard with regards to which terminal to use for power and load, but functionally, it makes no difference which wire goes to which terminal.  As for the type of wire to use, it would be safe to match whatever is currently in use in the circuit you are switching.

-Michael

dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Voltage is voltage, no matter Direct or Alternating. A 110VAC switch is fine for you application, as long as you are within current capacity.
Remember, it's not the volts that will hurt you -- it's the amps.
DXAV
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
Just wanted to add in a few things for your own reference.
Anytime you are interfacing with a *critical* electrical circuit. You should use a relay, as it will isolate the user from the circuit, and also allow a higher current capacity.
If the circuit is sensitve to inductive loads, it is wise, and suggested to add in a quenching diode to eliminate the CEMF (counter electro magnetic force).
Also, when switching any critical component such as the fuel pump, ECU, alarm CPU, only do so with a ground source.
If you insist upon switching a positive source, you will reduce the life span, or cause damage to the device in question.
Remember, switching ground starts the flow of electricty. Whereas, switching power, simply continues the intruppted flow of power.
ie. Voltage / current spikes, such as those created by black outs during bad weather.
Lastly, if the circuit wiring for the switch should short out, and you have live power flowing through the toggle switch, instead of ground. You will feel one hell of a shock.
With a switching ground source, the only thing that will happen is: Nothing
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
absolutly what I was going to say teken, but you beat me to it and also a little more in depth
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Just thought he should have all the information needed to make an informed decision. So as he can reap the benefits, without any potential hazards to him, others, or the vehicle.
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
just curious, why would you need to switch your fuel pump on and off?
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
overworked wrote:
just curious, why would you need to switch your fuel pump on and off?
Typically with respect to automotive security it is used increase the level of protection for the user.
Many people use electronic ignition bypass methods. Others you electro mechanical in combination to electronic based immolbilizers.
ie. Using a switch, fuse, relay
It is all the concept of layering the vehicles security system with redundency and back-up.
EVIL Teken . . .
overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  
I see Teken, my mistake I was under the impression that he wanted to switch the fuel pump off whilst running!?! WHere I got that idea from I don't know?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic