Can only RS when security disarmed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
FairWeather 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

This one is driving me crazy!

I have an '04 Chevy Tahoe w/ a GMDL-BP and a compustar 2wss-as.

I wired this thing up last night. DirectWire doesn't tell you to wire up the 2nd ignition circuit (white at the ign. harness), but I diagnosed that pretty quickly. I kept getting the classic check engine light after RS telling me that there was a transmission error.

Anyway, I'm ready to finish the job, but I can only remote start when the security alarm is disarmed. As soon as I arm the system through the compustar remote, the RS won't function. It tries the following sequence:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine light triggers (same as w/ unarmed RS procedure)
Fuel pump engages (Ignition wires are powered)
Brain case relay clicks
Nothing
Engine light off and radio powers up
Radio powers off

Repeat 6 things above

Door chimes this time (through front speakers)

Repeat previous 6 steps

Door chimes again

Doors lock and OEM light comes up. Compustar still armed. RS attempt is done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even crazier, when system is unarmed and I RS, the car starts. If I then kill RS through the remote, the car stops and then seconds later the OEM security light comes on and the doors lock. However, the compustar system still shows that the doors are unlocked.

Guys, I need help. I watched the databus/bypass (GMDL-BP) module during armed and unarmed RS. It does the same thing both times so I don't believe the module is failing.

I'm leaning towards the compustar brain. I've got the status (ground when running) going out to the module. Also, the lock and unlock outputs are running to the module. Please help if you can.

You can do it!
s7726 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have a starter kill installed. If you do it sounds like it might be after the RS connection. The RS system has to be after the starter kill or the starter kill won't let the RS start the car.

Hope you figure it out.

Gavin

SWEDISH RICE!

daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
like said before, make sure that your starter wire is connected after the starter kill relay
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
FairWeather 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, guys. I posted the thread and then found another similar thread and realized my starter wiring was going the wrong way off the relay. Thanks for the help. I feel pretty unqualified after failing to diagnose something that simple.

One thing though. Why does the OEM system lock the doors after I kill the RS with the security system unarmed? I'm definitely leaning towards the module on that one, but I have never seen that happen on an install. Also, I have found that this dome light monitoring circuit is bogus. First, you lose the ability to differentiate b/w the doors and a hatch on an SUV. Second, anytime the dome light comes on when the alarm is armed, the alarm will trigger thinking a door has opened. I find that annoying for cars that trigger a domelight anytime a door handle is pulled even if the car is locked and won't open. Also, if the domelight stays on for a while anytime the door is opened and you have armed the alarm, sometimes the alarm will trigger when the voltage falls on the domelight circuit as it shuts off!

Anyway, I am going to start going to the individual doors to feed that into the domelight monitoring module circuit. If you guys can help with that problem with the doors locking after killing RS, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, thanks for the help.

You can do it!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic