the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Alternator Whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
I need some advice on how I can get rid of the alternator whine. I installed two amps in a 03 Mazda 6. The amps are from Visonik, so tell me if the product is good. The one channel amp is 1200 watts and the four channel amp is 800. The watts I listed are peak. I know I need to change the ground, I will use a ground block and ground each amp to it. I used the high level input on the four channel to integrate with the factory head unit. I also used a  line out put converter that is connected to the rear L/R speakers for the one channel . The one channel amp has both input and output RCA while the four channel amp has input only. Do anyone know if someone make a line output converter specifically for this vehicle? After reading some previous topics on this subject, I think I will have to change the power wire to four gauge. The existing wire is eight gauge to a distribution block( this was prewired).  This vehicle also have a DVD/CD player with three monitors. I hope I give enough info. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
The first thing you probly want to do is go ahead and upgrade the power cable to the 4 ga. and do the same with the ground. When you install the new cables , try best you can to route them oppisite the RCAs and signal wires. This may help a little bit to reduce the alt. wine. Run the power wire down one side of the car and RCAs down the other. I dont know what kind of RCAs your using but stay away from the cheaper ones if you can. They tend to pick up alot of alt. noise also. Using the better High shielded cables should help reduce the alt. wine also. If all else fails , you can buy and install whats called a ground loop isolater. You will need one for each set of RCAs in your system. A ground loop isolater is a type of noise filter designed to work on your input signal. They are usually pretty effective on eliminating alt. wine.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
meh66 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

Rushman,

Do you know of any material I could use to shield the speakers wires from the power wire or an adaptor that plugs into the Mazda 6 HU and converts it to a low level output as I could not avoid running the power and two door speaker cables on the same side.

MEH66
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
ok , running the power wire and speaker wire is ok. It shouldnt hurt anything. I was only refering to the RCAs. Im sorry if I wasnt clear on that. (my bad). As far as your converter , there are several types mostly called a LOC or downlink converter.  Isnt this what you said you used already on the L/R speakers to run your subs? This does the same thing simply taking high level speaker leads off the radio and converts them or reduces them down to low level RCA connections making it easier and cleaner install to the amp or amps. This illiminates having to use the high level inputs on your amp as they dont give you a clean and clear sound as the low levels will.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

What you need first and foremost is control, get rid of the high level inputs on your amplifiers (probably part of the problem). Does your Mazda have a Bose system in it? Either way you need to get a proper interface device like the Audio Control 6XS. This is a high end LOC, EQ and subwoofer level controller all in one unit and for the input section it can take any type of input. Meaning find your speaker wires for each speaker coming from the factory amp or head, solder rca ends onto them and plug them in. Done like dinner.

This is the first thing that I would be doing in your quest for better sound and less noise. As far as quality of the amps go.....lets just say that you can do better, much better. What is the fuse values of your two amplifiers? A 4 gauge line for power and ground certainly won't hinder performance at all, but it might have nothing to do with the noise you have.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
meh66 
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

Forbidden,

Rushman,

Can I buy this Audio Control 6XS from Best buy or Circuit city? I beleive the V417SX is 40 amps and the V2518 is sixty amps, but do not qoute me on it as I do not have them in front of me.

I was thinking of a converter that would plug directly into the factory head unit like for some GM vehicles.

MEH66
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

I am not a US dealer but from what I gather Audio Control would not be found at these stores. They would however be found at a specialty store where you usually find guys like me. Does your Mazda have the Bose option in it? Either way you go, the Audio Control is the shiznit, I use it any time I am faced with a project like yours.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
meh66 
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

I forgot to answer that question. This mazda do not have he bose system.

MEH66
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know of any adapter myself that plugs directly into the factory deck. Im thinking Forbidden has the best idea with the audio control unit. Your going to have to do some cutting , splicing and soldering.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
good luck with the whining. i had a corvette once that i tried everything on it, and never got rid of it. i got it a lot lower, but never totally elimated it. the advice you got already is all good, so i don't know much else to help.
'85 Toy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic