icon

jl w6/w7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
I have a JL 500/1 amp and I see from the JL website that it is well suited to powering a 12W7 or a 13.3W6v2. I have been offered both for about the same price. I realise both are high SPL subs (for my everyday listening anyway) and both are the top end of subs JL make. I am primarally interested in sound quality.
I don't have the chance to listen before purchase and I was wondering what are the pros and cons of each as a direct comparison? One is larger but a lower spec model, the other smaller but supposedly better. What would you guys choose if you had the choice and why?
What's that flippie??
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
between the 12w7 and the 13w6v2?  Honestly I can hardly tell a difference in the two.  The 13 may have some lower notes it can hit but for you as an everyday driver/listener then I would say close you're eyes and pick one.  Both sound excellent and both have a big powerhandling ability.  I like the w7 just b/c it's the top model that JL makes but the 13 is just a bigger speaker (looks cool in a trunk also). 
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thats the sort of answer I was looking for. Thanks very much! I think I'll go for the W7 for 'just because' factor. Out of interest can you tell the difference between the W7 and W6v2 of the same size?
What's that flippie??
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Actually the 13w6v2 (and w7) is a 13.5" woofer.  Yeah you can notice it.  Looks like a 12" on steriods (sounds like a 15" on steriods).  I would get the cheaper one (you said they were both the same though soo....).  I think the w7 might get a smaller amount of better sound quality but probably not enought to listen and be able to tell a major difference.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic