icon

Lead wire damaged, repair? JL 8w3v2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dirtydreams4x4 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a JL 8w3v2-D6 that is in good condition except that a lead wire on one of the voice coils is broken/frayed. The other voice coil plays fine, so i want to repair it. Can it be repaired and if so, how should I repair it? I appreciate any help you can give..................

I am going to try to post a pic of it on this but we'll see if it works

Also, I haven't decided on what amp to use to power this sub. It's rated at 125w RMS continuous. Any suggestions? It will be a single sub set-upLead wire damaged, repair? JL 8w3v2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ive been able to solder those wires on different subs before but they didnt have the excursion that JL has. Im sure that can be fixed but hold out for others here to reply who can help more with that. As far as your amp , there are soooo many choices but it mostly depends on your budget and what you want to spend. I can at least tell you that you want to look for a single channel , mono block amp , steady to 1 ohm. Again it would help to know your price range.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have repaired a few and its been alright,   i would try to salavage as much of that lead wire as possible by soildering it together and then soilering another wire onto it...make sure you leave enough room for excursion but not too much so it dosent flap around...as for an amp your only going to be able to get a 12 or 3 ohm load, kinda ugly but a single mono block amp stable to one ohm will do...look for something more around 200 rms, shouldnt be hard to find...you can over power these like mad!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
dirtydreams4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Alright thanks ya'll helped a lot. My budget isn't really set yet as far as tha mpa is concerned. The main factor for me right now is SQ. I'll put up the money if it means I'll be happier with what I hear. I know that low harmonic distortion is key when looking at amps, but I dont really trust the spec sheets that all the amp manufacturers put out. Right now I'm thinking either old school RF amp or maybe JL? I dont know much about the new JL amps but people seem to like them. Any other brands I should look at? Oh is their any specific kind of solder I should use when I do this repair??  Thanks again
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

Length will be a problem when you try to solder it back on.  Use a additional 1/4 or 3/8 inch of wire and solder it back in to give yourself some room for excursion.  If room is tight wedge something between the basket and the frame to move the cone away from where you are working.  Be careful when you do that and do it in more then one place.  It can be done, I've done it : )

heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, ive ran 3 ohm loads on 4 ohm stable amps before.  Puts quite a load on the amp, but if your amp is off good quality it should work.  Also helps if the amp is a little more powerful then you need.  I guess your on a budget our you would not be soldering it back together.
dirtydreams4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  

I just dont want to see an otherwise good speaker go to waste. No no suggestions for amp brand?

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
JL Audio makes realy good mono amps for a price of coarse. Ive recently looked into Planet Audio and found some decent amps. Kicker is making decent stuff this year.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBP3001Z This will do it and then some.  Plus the bastard is 1ohm stable, you could drive allot of different configs with it.
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
JL has a flat speaker repair program for $53.00 on the 8w3v2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic