icon

Mouse Sander

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
91silvy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

Is the Mouse Sander by Black and Decker a good sander for fiberglassing?

Thanks in Advance

ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
I bought it for my first project. That this is a peice of sh*t when it comes to sanding anthing hard (like cured 'glass). I was better off sanding by hand.
But it does work good on bondo, but i went through a sh*t load of sheets of sand paper
If i were you i'd look at something a little better or just do it the ld fashioned way.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  
Its good for getting corners but that about it (besides being about $29). There are some far better sanders out there.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
I just went to wal mart friday and bought the skil orbital sander,  and I just finished all 6 layers of glass saturday.  So i'll be sanding tonight ill let you know what happens. Its only 39.99 at walmart here in bama.
91silvy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Well what sander do you recommend if any?  Or is it better to just sand by hand?
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Orbitals are great for sanding the glass and bondo.  They leave scratch/swirl marks though.  But not nearly as bad as a palm sander.  When you get to the finishing layers it's best to just sand by hand.  Especially if you're wet sanding.
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

boxmaker85 wrote:
Orbitals are great for sanding the glass and bondo.  They leave scratch/swirl marks though.  But not nearly as bad as a palm sander.  When you get to the finishing layers it's best to just sand by hand.  Especially if you're wet sanding.

what sanders do you suggest a starter to run out and buy that will make life a little easier!!      electric or air compressed?

Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Air compressed are really nice if you have the money for them.  I just preferred to get electric because its a lot cheaper and will probably last about as long.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Alright silvy to answer your question I started sanding last night, the sander I got is awesome, it was my first time to use it. I love it the orbital design is great you can keep the sander in whatever spot you want it, with the 1/4 sheet sanders they move too fast and you cant really stay where you want it.  This sander you can stay right where you want to it really eats the glass away.  Also with the round design of the pad it is excellent for the curves of the fiberglass gets in all the tight areas and works great at rounding those curves out.  So thats my beef. 
91silvy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Reality Check
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic